Capsicumel idea: input wanted!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bopgun23

Reaction score
Hiya folks...

So I've had this idea for a mead knocking around in my head for a while.

-A mostly dry mead (just a tiny touch of sweetness)
-Some rose extract (or possibly other floral extract, will test several) added to taste at bottling
-Pure Cap added to taste at bottling to provide heat with little to no pepper flavor
-Carbonated as closely to a champagne profile as possible

The ideal result is a slightly sweet, effervescent mead with a mild floral quality and a round subtle heat with little to no smokey/peppery quality.

I'm still really new at mead, so I don't know how close this imaginary mead is to something plausible.

Thoughts?

Sounds good.

I'm not a real fan of carbonated mead though so don't make me any (hint, hint...;)).

I made a sweet mead last year and had an extra gallon...I know...there's no such thing as extra...;)

I put it in a gallon jug and added 2 oz of thinly sliced ginger and a Seranno chili...man, was that ever good...sweet, spicy, and hot...I called it "Snakebite"...:rockin:

Sounds like something I would absolutely love. I can't get enough of hot, spicy & sweet foods, so I can't think of any reason I wouldn't love this mead. I might have to steal, I mean borrow this recipe.

1 serrano for 1 gallon of mead, I wonder how many chile pequenes it would take? The scoville rating for a serrano is 5,000 to 15,000 and chile pequenes run from 30,000 to 50,000. I know looks can be deceiving but I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the notion of 1 little chile pequene for a couple of gallons of mead. I have about 8 chile pequene plant growing, so of course I would like to use them instead of the serrano. What do y'all think?

I continued to think and dream about your spicy, sweet-hot mead, Homebrewer. As I was rearrageing the freezer, I come across a couple of jars of jalapeno-peach freezer jam from last summer. Suddenly a light bulb went off it my head..........why not make a jalapeno peach mead? Got my Texas peaches and jalapenos ripening on my table as I type and the honey gets pickup on my way to work tomorrow. I will be using a local central Texas wildflower honey and 71B yeast. I am think about 1 or 2 gallons batch with 2 red jalapenos for colour and flavor in each gallon. Might throw in a couple of slices of ginger to develop the back ground flavor.

1 serrano for 1 gallon of mead, I wonder how many chile pequenes it would take? The scoville rating for a serrano is 5,000 to 15,000 and chile pequenes run from 30,000 to 50,000. I know looks can be deceiving but I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the notion of 1 little chile pequene for a couple of gallons of mead. I have about 8 chile pequene plant growing, so of course I would like to use them instead of the serrano. What do y'all think?

FWIW, there are a lot of people (like myself) who don't eat chile's for their HEAT, but for their FLAVOR. If you're eating LAVA...you can't taste what you're eating. You may as well just eat chile's and save the mead for later.

I don't know about your experience, but in mine, carbonation and capsacin are synergistic. 1+1 does NOT equal 2. Just be careful about thinking you've got the right heat, and now you can add the CO2. You might be in for a surprise.

"there are a lot of people (like myself) who don't eat chile's for their HEAT, but for their FLAVOR."

Indeed; I once made some ice cream with candied thai hot peppers. They were vicious little things, but the candying process extracted most of the heat, (Just about peeled the paint behind the stove, too!) and the end result was about the fruitiest little bits imaginable. I could see making a fantastic mead with those, maybe I should try it, but I'll need a hazmat suit to do the candying first.

Indeed; I once made some ice cream with candied thai hot peppers. They were vicious little things, but the candying process extracted most of the heat, (Just about peeled the paint behind the stove, too!) and the end result was about the fruitiest little bits imaginable. I could see making a fantastic mead with those, maybe I should try it, but I'll need a hazmat suit to do the candying first.

When I dehydrate red jalapeno's they get very sweet, like candy...and hot. I eat them, uh, like candy. :D

Boiling hot peppers in syrup removes a lot of the heat, I imagine dehydrating them would just concentrate it.

Back