Does Yeast Nutrient Typically Speed Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merkinman

Reaction score
I am about to use a third generation slurry for a lager I will brew this week. I need this to be through fermenting and diacetyl rest in fewer than ten days. I thought adding a little yeast nutrient to the wort may help things happen a little faster -- that and turning the fermentation temperature up a couple of degrees.

My lagers are usually ready for their rests in 7-10 days after pitching. Does anyone with experience with yeast nutrient think adding it would shave off a day or two?

Thanks.:ban:

It might, it might not. I'd venture to say it mostly depends on the state of your yeast before you pitch. Have heathy active yeast, it may or may not make a difference if you add it or not. It probably helps an underpitched, slightly inactive yeast take hold of fermentation, but in the end, your beer will be better off with a longer fermentation anyway. Wake up your yeast in a starter, regardless.

why are you in such a hurry?

i dont think the nutrient will speed the fermentation. if anything i would think it would make fermentation easier on the yeast and making it more efficient resulting in less unwanted byproduct production.

Back