I think I kegged too soon...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macabra11

Reaction score
So I brewed an American Wheat 3 weeks ago and it fermented out in like 3 days. I left it in the primary for 2 weeks, then last Saturday I kegged it. I had it set to 10 psi in my keezer at 37º, but then the freezer went belly up and got warm almost at the same time (around 60-70 degrees).

Fast forward to two days ago... I got a new freezer and we are happily chilling away at 35º. I bumped up the psi to 20, shook the keg for a bit, turned it back to 12 psi and poured a sample. It had carbonation, not a ton, but it will get there in time. What concerned me most is that the beer did not taste very good. Will beer continue to improve with age even though it is chilled and carbed? :confused: It was only 4 weeks ago that it was brewed, but I rushed the kegging (even though the beer was done fermenting) and now I am worried I have 5 gal of blah beer. :(

Any thoughts on if the flavor will improve with time?

Yes, typically a beer's flavor will improve with a bit of time. Also, whenever I shake a keg to carb it quicker I always let it settle for at least 12 hours before pouring a sample to let any sediment, etc. settle back out.

the last Hefe I did had a bite to it when I first kegged and hit with CO2. I let it sit another week and now it great I think it was from force carbing it . 2 weeks primary then 2 weeks in the keg

the last Hefe I did had a bite to it when I first kegged and hit with CO2. I let it sit another week and now it great I think it was from force carbing it . 2 weeks primary then 2 weeks in the keg

my last hefe did the same thing.. a week after carbing, it was perfect, and empty a week later.

Other people have reported odd flavors for a couple days following fast forced carbonation. They straighten out in a week.

thats why I brew 10 gallons at a time .
I am still just a partial mash brewer with a setup that will only do 5g at a time... which is why i brew about every 2 weeks

Other people have reported odd flavors for a couple days following fast forced carbonation. They straighten out in a week.

this is why i only ever did the force carb method that involves shaking the keg one time...... Now I set to 30PSI for 36hours, then back off to serving pressure until the week has passed.

this is why i only ever did the force carb method that involves shaking the keg one time...... Now I set to 30PSI for 36hours, then back off to serving pressure until the week has passed.

And you do this with the keg already chilled and keep it in your keezer?

Back