Vanguard AKA SoCalHomeBrew....?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KettleCorn

Reaction score
Looks like Sean closed up show at Vanguard AKA SoCalHomeBrew, anybody know if they just moved or if they are gone for good. Like the selection and Sean was a good guy. He mentioned something about Monrovia, but who knows.....

Let me know if anyones has any intel.
Thanks

Looks like Sean closed up show at Vanguard AKA SoCalHomeBrew, anybody know if they just moved or if they are gone for good. Like the selection and Sean was a good guy. He mentioned something about Monrovia, but who knows.....

Let me know if anyones has any intel.
Thanks

Agree Sean was very cool.... He had mentioned opening a brewery in Monrovia in Feb so this may be taking a lot of his time?? No mention of anything on the FB page either?

He had some trouble with his partner and I asked if I could help make it work. I do not know if the brewery deal fell through or just got postponed.
Hope he is ok.

Went to MoreBeer in Riverside last Sat. Veru busy store, I guess it was slow at Vangaurd. Hope Sean works it out.

If anybody hears anything, please let us know. I'd buy from Sean agian to help him out.

Thanks

Yeah agreed Morebeer is busy, and way too far, was there on Sun needed a vial of yeast (emergency) the smack pak the shop sold me (close to work) was almost 7 months old. Kind of shocked that MB had so many kits just sitting around at room temp with the hops n them for who knows how long?! I hear the shop artached to the wine store in Upland is pretty good haven't been there myself yet, planning on going Fri for supplies.

I have been to the store with the wine store attached. I only have one datat point for costs. We bought empty bottle and they were ~$18 for 12... After we thought about this we decided to buy bottles with beer in them for less. Of course, we have the burden of drinking the beer ;)

Vangaurd sold Empty 12 packs for $10.50... but still prefer the one with beer instead.

Not sure there prices on other items but we found Vangaurd and Morebeer to be the best. Of course, Vangaurd is no longer an option.

Like you in Covina, we are in San Dimas. Let me know what you think of the store attached to the wine shop. I'm interested in a closer to home option too.

I wish I had seen this thread a few days ago. I just ordered something on the website. Which is still taking orders, so I hope they aren't closed since they took my money. I saw this and tried calling them, texting them, and emailing them. But no love, it's really upsetting

I wish I had seen this thread a few days ago. I just ordered something on the website. Which is still taking orders, so I hope they aren't closed since they took my money. I saw this and tried calling them, texting them, and emailing them. But no love, it's really upsetting

I think you should be ok, I think Sean lives up in the little loft above the shop, one of the times I was at the place, I could hear a tv up there blaring over the flat screen he had inside the shop.

KettleCorn said:
I have been to the store with the wine store attached. I only have one datat point for costs. We bought empty bottle and they were ~$18 for 12... After we thought about this we decided to buy bottles with beer in them for less. Of course, we have the burden of drinking the beer ;)

Vangaurd sold Empty 12 packs for $10.50... but still prefer the one with beer instead.

Not sure there prices on other items but we found Vangaurd and Morebeer to be the best. Of course, Vangaurd is no longer an option.

Like you in Covina, we are in San Dimas. Let me know what you think of the store attached to the wine shop. I'm interested in a closer to home option too.

18 dollars for 12 12 ounce bottles?

18 dollars for 12 12 ounce bottles?

Yea... Crazy right.

I bought a 12'er of Sam Adams Winter Variety PAck for $12.99 (that was on sale at the Groc Store)... But that is 12 bottles with BEER IN THEM!

One might complain that they would have to go through the effort of drinking the beer and then rinsing, and washing the bottle. Sam Is very easy to peel off the label after about 10 minutes of soaking in the sink. I think they know....

Red Trolley is good too, but they use NASA rated glue on the label ;)

Yea... Crazy right.

I bought a 12'er of Sam Adams Winter Variety PAck for $12.99 (that was on sale at the Groc Store)... But that is 12 bottles with BEER IN THEM!

One might complain that they would have to go through the effort of drinking the beer and then rinsing, and washing the bottle. Sam Is very easy to peel off the label after about 10 minutes of soaking in the sink. I think they know....

Red Trolley is good too, but they use NASA rated glue on the label ;)

Locally I can buy a case of 24 for 12.50.....

That is a win! It actaully makes buying beer easier if I can justify empty bottles at a discount with good"free" beer in them .

Cheers!

Sean Bailed, Vanguard is closed, do NOT ORDER from the online site...

still taking online orders but you will not get anything in return, except maybe a headache.

Cheers :mug:

They are open.. I went a couple weeks ago... Day one!!! They were very nice and helpful. They still use Sean's mill so no recalc's needed for eff%.

It was hard to tell they were open... I almost left but decided to try the door... open... Yikes, I almost left and I knew they were there and heard the rumors that they were opening... That makes for a tough Grand Opening.
Even my daughter said, " Wow, it is amazing anyone knows they are even open"

I hope they make it. I really like a Local LHBS ;)

http://www.socalhomebrew.com/

I'll see if I can get them to announce on here somewhere.

Sean Bailed, Vanguard is closed, do NOT ORDER from the online site...

still taking online orders but you will not get anything in return, except maybe a headache.

Wiley, when/ what did you order? Im one of the new owners, maybe I can help make it right

Wiley, when/ what did you order? Im one of the new owners, maybe I can help make it right

Like I said "Vanguard" is closed, your store name is socal homebrew, I understand that your in the same location, two different stores as far as I am concerned.

My post was to warn people that Sean Geer (Vanguard) bailed and he left several of his online order sites up and taking orders even though he is gone.

I have no beef what so ever with you or socal homebrew, you don't need to make anything right with me.

Thankfully I didn't order from him, Others here did though, and I just can't stand seeing others getting Ripped Off.

I wish you well and good luck with your new store.

Like I said "Vanguard" is closed, your store name is socal homebrew, I understand that your in the same location, two different stores as far as I am concerned.

My post was to warn people that Sean Geer (Vanguard) bailed and he left several of his online order sites up and taking orders even though he is gone.

I have no beef what so ever with you or socal homebrew, you don't need to make anything right with me.

Thankfully I didn't order from him, Others here did though, and I just can't stand seeing others getting Ripped Off.

I wish you well and good luck with your new store.

Thanks Wiley I appreciate that, unfortunately while the previous owner had a business license under vanguard he was also doin online sales under SoCal. We have control of the website, socalhomebrew.com but it has taken us a couple months to get the storefront in order so I haven't had a chance to mess with it and change his content too much, hopefully by next week I'll be able to start working on it.

What other sites are you aware of that he is still trying to do business on? I legally bought the vanguard and SoCal names so maybe I can let those sites I ow to remove them

I'll Try to go back and gather some of the names, I didn't make a list, I'll PM you with the names in a few days, I don't have time right now, swamped with work.

Cheers :tank:

Back