austin hombrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penguin

Reaction score
recently switched over to using Austin home brew supply and to making yeast starters for every batch. the thing ive noticed is the the last 3 batches i got from them ferment forever compared to that of the Williams kits i was previously using. not that its a bad thing ......just something i noticed. ive got a Scottish in the fermenter now and its still bubbling away in the blow off and its been 2-1/2 weeks already. the ginger ale i did before that one fermented for almost 4 weeks but its tasty nonetheless.

austin homebrew is the biggest seller of lme out there so you probably have the freshest kits available. it could be the yeast is different.

Odd. Here are a few questions:

How do your ferment temps compare?
Did you use Dry Yeast before?
Did you ship Liquid Yeast during the Super Hot Weather?
Did you Aerate your wort completely?

ferment temps are the same at around 70 degrees
used smack packs before now i use white labs liquid and make a starter
only one was shipped in hot weather but i paid the extra for the ice pack in shipping
wort was aerated the same buy just stirring vigorously with a spoon at pitch time

interesting...

in my first batch, a brwon ale i used two packets of dry yeast as a starter...was bubbling aggressively in the pyrex prior to e dumping it in...

this time i'm doing a cream stout from northern and using wyeast london...i broke the smack pak 24 hours prior and it was swollen BIG TIME WHEN i added it to the wort...but nothing happening now, no where close to what happened to batch one 6 hours later...time will tell.

ferment temps are the same at around 70 degrees
used smack packs before now i use white labs liquid and make a starter
only one was shipped in hot weather but i paid the extra for the ice pack in shipping
wort was aerated the same buy just stirring vigorously with a spoon at pitch time

I used a William' kit on an American IPA a few weeks back and used a smack pak - pak puffed up in one day, fermentation started in 18 hours with blowoff strong for two days, and went to just bubbling in the air lock after a few days.

I brewed a Holiday Ale from Austin Homwe Brew Supply a few days back using their White Labs California Ale yeast. No starter, just warmed the tube up to room temps for 8 hours prior to pitching, fermentation in 13 hours with foam in the blowoff tube in 24 hours, just bubbling in airlock now after 2 1/2 days.

Both fermentations done at 72 degrees.

Not sure why yours is going that strong for so long.

Back