Spice "utilization" in boil and fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstatepike

Reaction score
I am brewing a pumpkin ale tomorrow, and I have a question I have not been able to find an answer for. No, I this isn't a generic pumpkin ale question (or at least I hope not:))

I am planning on adding the canned pumpkin to the boil, and strain out the pumpkin, hops, break material, etc. before I go into the fermenter. Here is my question: if I do not strain but dump it all in and let it sit for a couple of weeks before racking, what would the impact to the flavor be? Would the flavor and oils from the spices show a more prominent role, or are they fully extracted in the last few minutes of the boil (recipe says to boil for last 5 min)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

I don't think anyone is going to give a definitive answer because you would have to do a side by side comparison to know for sure, but my stab is that the straining will remove unsoluable stuff so it won't make any difference. The key is to boil spices no longer than 5 minutes otherwise as Pierre Celis says, "it's just for the neighbors". :)

Back