Kegerator not cold enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHound12

Reaction score
Let me first state that I know nothing about how fridges cooling systems work. I bought a marvel 61-HK kegerator a couple months ago at a garage sale and it will not get any colder than about 44 degrees. I had someone come look at it and he said that it had a leak in the evaporator but im not sure if hes correct. I say this because it has been plugged in for 2 months and it has held steady at 44 and if I had a leak wouldn't it have ran out of coolant already?

One thing that I have noticed is that one side of the u-shaped evaporator is much colder than the other when I touch it. I was thinking that the lines inside may have gotten blocked up or something??? I really have no idea what idea what is wrong with it so any of your help with troubleshooting this thing would be much appreciated.

According to the user guide for that unit, it is capable of maintaining temps between 33°F and 52°F. If it has been maintaining 44°F consistently for a couple of months without excessive cycling, it seems unlikely that it has a leak in the coolant loop. Instead, the problem may indeed be related to the thermostat.

You might try calling the Customer Service number in the user guide to see if they can give you any advise...

Cheers!

You can bypass the thermostat and set it to run constant to see if it's a thermostat issue. If one side is getting colder it is possible there is a leak or something is clogged in the system. If there is a small leak it's possible someone in the past recharged the coolant and introduced moisture into the system and is now frozen clogging it up.

Thanks for your help can you explain how to bypass the thermostat or is it something i could find out how to do online? I also plan on calling customer service today to see what they say

Back