Cherry Stout from concentrate....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashStirBrew

Reaction score
I am brewing Papazian’s Cherry Fever Stout and a Cherry Wheat. Except instead of the fresh cherries, I am going to try a pure cherry juice concentrate that the local grocer carries in the health food dept. They also have it in blueberry which could work for future use. It states on the side that it is equivalent to twelve lbs of black cherries. This is not an extract like the brew shop sells.

The problem is I am using a 6 gallon better bottle for the primary and Nottingham for yeast, which can have a pretty vicious fermentation even without the fruit. So my plan is to wait for the blow off to subside, pop the top, and dump in the pasteurized juice concentrate. Kind of an in between primary, and secondary fruit addition. I really don’t want to mess with a fruit addition in the secondary and then have to rack to a tertiary for clearing. I have two more brews waiting.

Now, if it is pasteurized I do not need to worry about any sanitizing and can just crack the lid and dump, right? And do I have to worry about oxidation from dumping it in or am I fairly safe since fermentation will still be rolling a bit and pick back up with the added sugars. Am I off on my thinking or should I rdwhahb. Still fairly new at this…. and this sounds way too good to screw up.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 39.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.4 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 lb Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract 10.4 %
6.60 lb Dark Liquid Extract (17.5 SRM) Extract 68.8 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.4 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 5.2 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5.2 %
2.00 oz Northern Brewer [6.90%] (60 min) Hops 39.4 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50%] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-)
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast

Your right if the concentrate is pasteurized your good to go. I would santize the outside of the can and whatever you use to open it with. In terms of oxygenation just pour it in gently, or not, either way probably not a problem.

Let us know how it works out. Using real cherries I've heard is a real PIA and the extracts make beer that tastes like cough syrup...

FSR402 said:
If you were to use real cherries, what would you have to do to them before racking the stout onto them?

I would freeze and thaw them first to break down the cell walls so you can get better juice/flavor extraction. You then mash them up a little and stir in a little sodium or potassium metabisulfate (campden tablets or pot met) and let it sit covered for 24 hours. Then you can add them to your beer.

This is the same process winemakers use for sanitizing fresh fruit for wine.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Ancient thread -- how did it work out? I'm considering adding tart red cherry juice concentrate to an upcoming stout. I'm trying to figure out how much concentrate I should order online and add. 32 oz in a five gallon batch -- seems like way to much cherries?

Back