Excessive Krausen Question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigH78

Reaction score
Just brewed Cheesefood's cream ale yesterday and this thing is going crazy! I had to setup a blow off this morning because I was starting to see some krausen in the airlock. 3hrs later the tube is working but there is a lot of foam going through it and the catch jar I'm using is a nice golden color and foamy.

My question is, what variables cause this? This is the second time I've made it and the first time, I never had a spot in the airlock the entire time. This one is a little bit warmer, about 4 degrees (71 degree room, bucket reads 4 degrees warmer from fermentation) so maybe that's why. Here is the recipe I used. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/caramel-cream-ale-2435/#post19258

I did do a starter (3/4 cup DME + 6 cups of water) for about 24 hrs, had a real nice head when I pitched. I also did add about 1/2 - 3/4 tsp of WYeast Nutrient at 10min left of boil so maybe that has something to do with it also. One thing is for sure, they are very happy yeasties!

I would think that if you pitched your starter at high kreausen, then your yeastie beasties hit the ground running, and took off, the warmer temperature will also be a variable, but IMO not quite as significant since you are still well within most yeasts acceptable range.

One other thing is if you have a larger volume than normal, if you are using carboys or buckets, and normally have 5 gallons, but this time you have say 5.5-6, then the smaller headspace may be allowingyour foamto escape.

Thanks guys. It has already started to calm down, in fact I just put the air lock back in. Yea, Yooper, it is warmer then I would like but with this weather here (30 degrees one day -1 the next) its hard to find a constant 70 in my house in a place that's not going to be ransacked by my 4 year old. I accidentally :cross: ran out of beer over the weekend so need to get a new batch brewed ASAP or I would have put it in 60 degree room and let it sit a few extra weeks. Oh well..

Back