Refermentation in bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlejon326

Reaction score
I've seen various tidbits, but mostly based on large scale breweries carbonation their beer by using yeast to referment in the bottles. Is there any calculator to convert batch sizes/styles to a yeast pitch cell count? And how the heck could you even control a cell count to pitch in the first place?

I think you're just talking about natural bottle carbing that all us homebrewers who bottle do all the time...except we don't add the yeast, we add more sugar (usually in the form of corn sugar boiled in water.) The only reason the commercial ones MAY need to add yeast at bottling time, is if they kill off or filter their fermentation yeast....some, like many Belgian breweries do that to guard their yeast strain. Others do it because they have filtered their beer yet still want bottle conditioned beer...

If they are doing that then they are probably calculating their yeast for bottling in terms of gallons...

For us, our yeast is still alive usually (unless we've aged a barleywine for a year) so we only need to add more fresh fermentables..

But the refermentation in the bottle is exactly how most of us get our beer carbed. That's why some time new brewers panic when they see bottle krauzens...they don't thin, or realize that their primed bottles all just became mini carboys, only with an airlock to vent out the co2...to carb the co2 is forced back into the solution...

:mug:

that is actually a solid point. The reason I ask i am making a dubbel, im going to sit it in the secondary for at least three months and was thinking of pitching yeast along with corn sugar to make sure everything carbs well.

Back