Ranco ETC 111000 thermowell options for fermentation, what are they?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipatch

Reaction score
Hello, once again I have spent the past several minutes researching for my hombrew stuff, this it is for thermowells that work with the Ranco ETC 111000 stock temperature probe. I was kind of shocked to find out how expensive these things are, knowing that I am going to need two because I just recently setup two water chilled fermentation units. I am still fermenting in a 6 gallon primary plastic and 5 gallon secondary glass carboys.

So, the first thermowell I came across was the one morebeer.com was selling. Here is the link @ $25 + shipping I thought I could find a better price or a DIY. I am not even sure if this thermowell is going to fit the stock temp probe on a Ranco ETC 111000

I then came across a site selling what appeared to be the same item for $22.00 Here is the link

Thirdly, I came across a thermwowell that is suppose to work with the Ranco ETC 111000 temp control unit, put this does not include the rubber stopper.
Here is the link @ $14 + shipping

I am probably going to end up getting two of the last one mentioned, but does anyone know of a DIY that's cheaper than $14 and uses SS? At $14 + shipping this seems like a reasonable price compared to the others.

Final question, if I purchase the last item should I drill holes in the rubber stoppers I have (I recently picked up two hole free rubber stoppers) or should I purchase some stoppers that are predrilled? to fit the thermowell and an airlocker?

McMaster-Carr part 5560K329) is 36" of 0.25" ID 304 Stainless steel tubing for $19.28 plus shipping. If you have the tools and ability to cut stainless steel and make a sanitary closure of the end you would have your two thermowells. If not the Brewers Hardware (3rd link) sounds very reasonable and I think the stoppers should be relatively inexpensive (if I recall correctly my LHBS charges $1/stopper)

With regards to your question about stoppers -- I'd say try your hand at drilling holes in one of the stoppers you already have to see if it works for you, however my personal experience was that it is less hassle to buy pre-drilled than to drill your own.

McMaster-Carr part 5560K329) is 36" of 0.25" ID 304 Stainless steel tubing for $19.28 plus shipping. If you have the tools and ability to cut stainless steel and make a sanitary closure of the end you would have your two thermowells. If not the Brewers Hardware (3rd link) sounds very reasonable and I think the stoppers should be relatively inexpensive (if I recall correctly my LHBS charges $1/stopper)

With regards to your question about stoppers -- I'd say try your hand at drilling holes in one of the stoppers you already have to see if it works for you, however my personal experience was that it is less hassle to buy pre-drilled than to drill your own.

Good stuff, thanks for the info.

Drilling a rubber stopper is fairly difficult to do as the material is not easily 'cut' by the drill. However - there is a way to do it that is rather simple. Buy a piece of dry ice and pack it and the stopper in a container. Let it freeze solid and then drill it. This process works very well as it is like you are drilling a piece of hard wood.

Note of caution: Wear gloves when handling the dry ice and the frozen stopper.

Hope this helps you.

Drilling a rubber stopper is fairly difficult to do as the material is not easily 'cut' by the drill. However - there is a way to do it that is rather simple. Buy a piece of dry ice and pack it and the stopper in a container. Let it freeze solid and then drill it. This process works very well as it is like you are drilling a piece of hard wood.

Note of caution: Wear gloves when handling the dry ice and the frozen stopper.

Hope this helps you.

Can the stopper not be placed in the freezer overnight to achieve the same effect?

You can try it that way. I'm not sure it will work though.

I do know that dry ice will freeze it solid and that does work.

I will stick them in the freezer and take a temperature reading, and if the stoppers do not drill well then I will try the dry ice method. First I got to order the thermowells :cross:

The freezer option did not go well, so I scored some dry ice today :) I think I am going to stick the stoppers in a 4 quart pot with the dry ice.

Edit: I stuck the the stoppers in the pot with the dry ice in the freezer, going to check in about an hour and see what the rigidness of the stoppers is like.

I use a similar Ranco controller and get great results WITHOUT the thermowell. I really don't think you need a thermowell. All I do is tape the probe to the outside of the fermenter. Works great! The fermenter is always within 1 degree of the set temp. If your really anal you can insulate the probe against the fermenter wall with some Styrofoam or bubble wrap.

Try it before you go crazy with the thermowells.

I use a similar Ranco controller and get great results WITHOUT the thermowell. I really don't think you need a thermowell. All I do is tape the probe to the outside of the fermenter. Works great! The fermenter is always within 1 degree of the set temp. If your really anal you can insulate the probe against the fermenter wall with some Styrofoam or bubble wrap.

Too late already went crazy with the thermowells.:ban:

Well, the dry ice thing worked out kind of. I was 1 for 2 with the rubber stoppers. The dry ice worked way better than leaving the stoppers in the freezer, but the stoppers did not maintain their rigidness very long after removing them from the pot. If anyone attempts the same thing and is wondering what size of drill bit to use. I went with a 3/8" drill bit.

Here is a link to the picture below.

customStoppers1.png

I haven't done it myself, but I've read that using a paddle bit is a good way to drill through stoppers. You might want to give that a search on the forums.

It doesn't require dry ice, either.

ipatch, did this work out well for you?

Yes, this worked well if you are using the larger rubber (#10) stopper for the 6 gallon better bottles. It did not work well for the smaller rubber stopper (#7) used for the 5 gallon glass car boys.

I also tape the probe to the side of the bucket... works great.

A harshly used keg dip tube may be cheaper than the McMaster Carr link... still need the tools and DIY to get it done...

I am going to try and find dry ice, I want to drill a stopper out for a 1/2 arcrylic diptube....

taping the probe to the carboy doesn't work well when you have fermwarp on it.

i just went to northern brewer and looked at their thermowell. it doesn't fit the a419 probe.....

I don't use a fermwrap. I use one of these ceramic heat bulbs in a cheap desk lamp. linky

It gently heats the air in the fermenting fridge instead of heating a carboy directly. Works great

Last edited by a moderator:
Back