After Midnight Blackbrry Port-style wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Reaction score
After Midnight blackberry Port-style wine

This is going to be a little difficult to reproduce but certainly doable again. I began this with the intent of producing a Port-style wine but I sort of improvised as I went along. It’s somewhat complex with quite a few steps and ingredients.

9-1

48 oz can of Alexander’s Burgundy concentrate
17 lbs frozen blackberries in a straining bag
12 cups (6 pounds) sugar
1 ½ teaspoons acid blend
1 teaspoon pectic enzyme
½ teaspoon tannin
2 ½ teaspoon yeast nutrient
½ teaspoon yeast energizer
3 ½ gallons of tap water
20 grams untoasted American oak
1 pkg Lalvin K1V 1116

OG 1.110

On 9-3 the gravity was down to 1.045 and I drew off 4 cups of the fermenting must and stirred in 2 more cups of sugar and added back to the must.

On 9-5 the gravity was 1.018 and I added another cup of sugar and 1/2t of Fermaid K

On 9-10 I racked to the secondary. Gravity was 1.00 and at this point the volume was 4.75 gallons. I topped a 3-gallon carboy and put the remaining 1.75 gallons onto 6 lbs of Oregon tart cherries (in a straining bag) in a plastic primary. To this I added 20 grams untoasted American oak and 40 grams heavy toasted American oak. I also added 1 pint of Everclear and a pint of Paul Masson Brandy. This is a common practice to fortify Port-style wines.

On 9-22 I racked the fortified cherry oaked wine and the original blackberry/Burgundy to a 5-gallon carboy with a ½ gallon growler as reserve.

On 10-6 I added potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate to stabilize and backsweetened with 500ml Wine Expert grape concentrate and ¾ cup of sugar. Final graity was 1.005.

On 1-3 I added 1 ½ oz medium toast American oak.

Bottled on 3-14

Wow, that is complicated... But I would love to try making it sometime, or something close.

Well I am thinking its going to a LONG time before I even get to make mine. Limited funds and more limited carboys, but I can't wait for it!

I keep coming back to this recipe. I need to decide on the next batch I am doing. But this looks more and more complicated every time I read over it. Perhaps I will just give up and try to come up with my own Midnight inspired Port-styled wine. There are so many things going on in this one that I just have to try something equally crazy.

Follow-up: this wine took Best of Show at the Nebraska State Fair this year.

IMG_31501.JPG

Congrats solstice, my port style was hopefully saved from infection. I hope mine can at least hold a candle to yours.

Recipe looks great . Have you or has anyone else tried this again or done any modifications. : :ban:

This is far too intense for me to drink very often and I can't finish off an entire 750 ml bottle of this in one sitting. I still have several bottles left. I can see making it again though in another year of so.

Looks fantastic and I am about to give it a shot! Do you agree the final ABV is around 19.5-20%? I did some quick math with all the ingredients(including the everclear) and came up with that number.

How has it aged? Is the oak well represented?

Looks fantastic and I am about to give it a shot! Do you agree the final ABV is around 19.5-20%? I did some quick math with all the ingredients(including the everclear) and came up with that number.

How has it aged? Is the oak well represented?

cough cough :mug: Prolly going to start this this week. Any tips? Were the blackberries pressed? When?

How long would this keep after opening? I found that store-bought port keeps for a loooong time after opening.

I was having some crazy ideas and wondered if adding a pack of jello (no potassium or recognizable yeast killers) to my primary fermentation would be detrimental to the outcome of my wine? Any thoughts?

Maybe you should bottle it in beer bottles if you don't drink a 750 ml in one night. Just a thought.

cough cough :mug: Prolly going to start this this week. Any tips? Were the blackberries pressed? When?

Hey did you attempt to make this?
And do you remember any of the steps?
I stumbled across this recipe this afternoon, and it looks like something
that I'd like to try.
Did the blackberries get crushed? What about the cherries that were added?
Thanks

Back