Saffron Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
I had a thought while driving to work this morning of making a saffron ale. Something special for a special occasion. I did some reading about using saffron online and found that DFH used it in their Midas Touch and Kelham Island Brewery in Sheffield, UK did one awhile ago.

It looks like steeping the saffron to make a 'saffron tea' would be the way to go. But I found nothing on when to add it to the beer. I'm guessing either at the end of the boil or in secondary. I'm leaning towards adding at secondary.

Any thoughts?

Wow...Impressive idea...but wouldn't it take a lot to have any noticable taste?

A lot of saffron could get expensive.

The basic brewing podcasters did a saffron peach small batch mead before...It was only a gallon batch though.

Rhoobarb said:
I did some reading about using saffron online and found that DFH used it in their Midas Touch and Kelham Island Brewery in Sheffield, UK did one awhile ago.
I didn't know Kelham Island did a saffron brew - shame I missed it. [EDIT - Ah, I see it was eight years ago. That was a bit before my time!]
Rhoobarb said:
It looks like steeping the saffron to make a 'saffron tea' would be the way to go. But I found nothing on when to add it to the beer. I'm guessing either at the end of the boil or in secondary. I'm leaning towards adding at secondary. Any thoughts?
I'd guess you'd add it in secondary or at flame-out. Saffron's got a pretty delicate flavor, and I imagine it's used as much (or more) for color as for taste. I noticed too that the Kelham Island brew had a reduced hop bill so as to not mask the aroma of saffron. That suggests it's fairly delicate.

It might be worth contacting Kelham Island to see if they have any suggestions on this ( [email protected] ). I don't think any of their current brewing team were around when the saffron beer was made, but the brewery is basically a good-sized brew pub, and I believe the couple who run it have been there for ages, so might be able to shed some light. Actually, I'll ask them next time I'm down there.

Do you have a copy of "Radical Brewing" by Randy Mosher? He covers the use of most potential beer ingredients in that, and he might mention using saffron there. LMK if not and I'll dig out my copy when I'm back home later in the week.

Revvy, the one recipe I found was a Midas Touch clone and it called for 1.25 oz. That's ~$40.00 of saffron. Wow. Guess I better start sourcing a good supplier of inexpensive, yet good quality saffron. I'm sure those two qualities are mutually exclusive, but maybe I'll find a good online source.

Danek, if you get any info from the folks at Kelham Island, that would be great! Let me know. If not, I may contact them myself. I'm not planning to brew this right away, so I have time. I don't have "Radical Brewing" yet, but it is #1 on my list of books to get.

Thanks for the input!:mug:

Yeah, Saffron is the MOST expensive spice on the planet, since it is hand picked from the pestle of the crocus flower....

I'm Spanish, we know saffron, becasue we use it in almost every dish...

I've only ever seen it in tiny plastic boxes with a few strands in it...at a couple bucks a pop.

Saffron+Threads.JPG

Here's some info if you don't know, :D

Saffron is extraordinarily expensive at $1000 a pound. (No, I didn’t make a mistake with the zeros). Why so pricey? The Saffron filaments, or threads, are actually the dried stigmas of the saffron flower, "Crocus Sativus Linneaus". Each flower contains only three stigmas. These threads must be picked from each flower by hand, and more than 75,000 of these flowers are needed to produce just one pound of Saffron filaments. Fortunately, only a tiny amount is needed for most recipes, so you don’t need a second mortgage on your house to cook with it.

Most chefs and home cooks alike recommend using saffron threads instead of powder to ensure that you are receiving true saffron and superior flavor. The threads should be soaked in water prior to using in the recipe, and suggested soaking times range from 20 minutes to several hours.

I've found it relatively cheap in mexican groceries or bulk spice shops (2-3 ounces)...maybe a dozen filaments for a couple of bucks...

This is 12 bucks worth from Amazon (11 ounces)

41RsLAs8QXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

BUT the powder stuff he mentions is usually NOT saffron at all, but is often annatto which will not have the same flavor....

You could do a saffron beer using only a few ounces of saffron, if you steep them a long time in water, and brew the lightest, palest beer possible, with a very small hop bill or else you'll lose the saffron smell, taste...

I'm interested if you come up with something.

Yeah, after searching for the last hour or so, I've determined that the powder is out. Threads only. It seems Spanish saffron has always been regarded as the best, but I'm finding that Iranian saffron is as good as the Spanish variety and can be had for less money b/c they cultivate so much and it is now legal to purchase in the US.

I've found NO deals online - if anything, they jack the price up. So I may have to look locally. I figure there should be some good local Persian stores in the Chicago area. I found one store near me that sells "Spanish Superior Grade Saffron" in a "1 oz. bag in a decorative tin" for only $95.95"!:eek:

Rhoobarb said:
Yeah, after searching for the last hour or so, I've determined that the powder is out. Threads only. It seems Spanish saffron has always been regarded as the best, but I'm finding that Iranian saffron is as good as the Spanish variety and can be had for less money b/c they cultivate so much and it is now legal to purchase in the US.

I've found NO deals online - if anything, they jack the price up. So I may have to look locally. I figure there should be some good local Persian stores in the Chicago area. I found one store near me that sells "Spanish Superior Grade Saffron" in a "1 oz. bag in a decorative tin" for only $95.95"!:eek:

In Chi-town you shouldn't have any problem finding small amounts cheap. Look for a good ole fashion "Bodega" or mexican grocery, or like you said, persian markets.

I can't recall the mexican spice brand that most mexican groceries in the US carry, I think my little box of Saffron came from there...I'll check when I get home tonight.

Being that we only use a few strands in Spanish Dishes like Paella, it does have a noticeably pronounced flavor...The thing to figure out is how much will be needed per a 5 gallon batch of beer.....I mean, 11 ounces for 12 bucks is a LOT of flavor....

Go to a local small hole in the wall muslim or asian grocery. they always have it cheap. thats where I get mine for cooking.

The key to finding the cheapest store is look for the store with the yeast english in it...If all the signs are in an asian language you found the right store..If no one in there speaks english you definetely found the right store!!

What is the shelf life on Saffron? I made some Paelle with saffron that was probably 8 months old and I thought the flavor was really lacking.

Tonedef131 said:
What is the shelf life on Saffron? I made some Paelle with saffron that was probably 8 months old and I thought the flavor was really lacking.

Well, I just looked up the shelflife of saffron and was surprised at the answer, which was confirmed on several website.

How long can saffron be stored?
Saffron can be stored for several years and will retain most of its potency if stored properly.

What is the best way to store saffron?
Saffron should be stored in an airtight container and kept away from moisture and bright light. Bright light such as sunlight will bleach the color of saffron. That is why when the crocus flower blooms, the flower has to be picked at dawn (Sahar) before the sun shines on it. Also do not expose your saffron to the moisture. Do not open your jar of saffron near a boiling pot of water in the kitchen.

It's a shame that it comes in those little clear plastic boxes, the bright light, even the florescent lights in the stores can't be good for it...

Rhoobarb said:
Revvy, the one recipe I found was a Midas Touch clone and it called for 1.25 oz. That's ~$40.00 of saffron.

If that is for 5 gal. I would think that would be quite bitter! I find in cooking that 3-4 threads per portion of the dish is sufficient for good flavor. I'd do some testing first. I'd boil a few threads up in a small amount of water (microwave maybe) and then add increasing amounts to a glass of beer in a similar base style to what you are planning. This would help you get a feel for how much to add. I would assume like hops, the higher the SG the more you would need for proper balance.

pjj2ba said:
... I'd do some testing first. I'd boil a few threads up in a small amount of water (microwave maybe) and then add increasing amounts to a glass of beer in a similar base style to what you are planning. ...
That's a good idea. I think I'll try that.

So, from what everyone is saying, I may not need as much as an ounce. Maybe I can start with just a few threads. Maybe buy a 1/4 oz. and experiment from there?

pjj2ba said:
I'd boil a few threads up in a small amount of water (microwave maybe) and then add increasing amounts to a glass of beer in a similar base style to what you are planning. This would help you get a feel for how much to add.
That is a terribly good idea.

I get the impression that the taste of saffron is easily masked, so I assume that'd rule out most grains other than a pale base 2-row? And presumably you'd want the IBUs to be pretty low as well. So what, apart from 2-row, saffron, and a sprinkling of hops, would go in a saffron ale?

I'll check out Radical Brewing tonight and see if there are any thoughts in there.

Rhoobarb,

Have you seen this recipe?

Joe Brew's Extreme Home Brewing said:
Saffron Ale
----------------
Category: Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer
Recipe Type: Extract
Batch Size: 1 gallon
Volume Boiled: 1 gallon
Calories (12 fl. oz.): 196.8

Summary : Got this out of the book: "Sacred Herbal Healing Beers" by Stephen Harrod Buhner. This brew is supposedly both
psychtropic & an aphrodisiac. It does give you a "funny feeling" & you can taste saffron for days afterwards. Your pee will have
a strong saffron odor as well. Very expensive to make. Cost me a little over $70 to brew this tiny little one gallon batch
(saffron's expensive). WooHoo!
Gotta love historical brews!

Ingredients:
0.75 lbs. Molasses
0.50 lbs. Dark Brown Sugar
0.50 oz. Saffron
Yeast : DCL Yeast T-58 SafBrew Specialty Ale

Brewing notes:
Bring to boil, turn down heat, cover, & let stand for 3 hours. Pitch yeast at 70 F.

Stats:
Original Gravity: 1.050
Terminal Gravity: 1.010
Color: BLOOD RED!!!
Bitterness: ???
Alcohol (%volume): 5.2 %

Brewmonkey's have a Blonde Ale with Saffron as well...

Blonde
Blonde Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 3/25/2005
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Chris Love
Boil Size: 6.57 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 68.0 %
2.00 lb Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 16.0 %
1.50 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 12.0 %
0.50 lb Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 4.0 %
1.25 oz Galena [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 52.2 IBU
0.50 oz Galena [13.00%] (20 min) Hops 12.6 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
0.25 tsp Saffron (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 tbsp 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Servomyces (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [Starter 300 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.6 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 %
Bitterness: 66.3 IBU Calories: 229 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.0 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 12.50 lb
Sparge Water: 4.41 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 15.63 qt of water at 169.0 F 154.0 F 60 min

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 4.2 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

5 gallons of reverse osmosis water 3.5 gallons of San Jose water

Racked to 2ndary 04-07-05
bottled 4-15-05
Bottled 4-15-05 - nice bitterness
After 3 week it has a very odd bitterness - harsh hard to describe
After 4 weeks - very good - close to Hop Town Golden Ale - not exact, but in the ball park.

One more...Saffron Brewery has a Saffron Blonde...

Here's some info.

saffron_blonde2_crop_adjust_web.png

Saffron Blonde 4.3 % abv available April - September

Light golden ale brewed with Maris Otter barley and wheat, plus Fuggles and Goldings hops. The delicate balance of citrus and smooth malty flavours with a crisp finish makes this a refreshing ale for all occasions.

http://www.saffronbrewery.co.uk/html/range.html

Here's another....but seems a waste of good saffron to me...I think the orange zest and hopbill would overpower the saffron...

http://www.jackofallbrews.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=304&sid=8448a0934e2b80ac143cf3013cd14325

I brewed this today:
and everything went flawless..(although I did have a borderline stuck sparge...not quite, but very very close, rice hulls next time I use that many oats.

Burton Orange Ale
3 gallon batch All Grain Recipe
Target OG=1.055
Target IBU=43

5.0 lb Base Malt (Maris otter) thanks Chris
2.0 lb Base Malt (Rahr 6 row)
1.0 lb Flaked Oats
1 tsp each Gypsum, Amylase enzyme, Irish Moss
1 pkg (1/4 oz) Mexican Saffron because its cheap
0.5 oz Northern Brewer Leaf hops 8.5% (24.5 IBU)
0.5 oz Amarillo pellet hops 8.9% (14.2 IBU)
0.5 oz Glencoe Casade Leaf hops 7ish% (3.7 IBU)
30 gr. Orange Zest
1 pkg Burton Ale yeast
Maybe dry hop 1/2oz Glencoe Cascade ?

Mash Schedule (WSC=Woodstove climb)
122 deg & WSC 30 min 7 qt water 135 deg
140-150 deg WSC 10 min 5 qt water boiling
150-158 deg climb 5 min med heat cookstove
158 deg hold temp 30 min
170 deg Mashout 5 min gas cookstove
foundation water in Zapap 1.2 gal 180 deg
sparge water aprox. 2.0 gal 170 deg
NO FWH (first wort hops)

Boil Schedule (60 min total)
60 min Northern brewer hops and Saffron Beginning of boil
30 min Wort chiller (immersion)
20 min Amarillo hops
15 min Irish moss (hydrated)
5 min Cascade hops
0 min add Orange Zest and cover and let sit 5 min. then chill

4 hours from Mash in to throwing yeast, I think that's the fastest yet for an all-grain for me. gravity before boil = 1.057
OG=1.068 this is higher than I planned, but I like big brews so I desided not to water it down. This brew has a nice orange color thanks to the saffron. I threw yeast at 11:30 AM this morning wort=76 deg

I've had a look through "Radical Brewing" but I can't see any reference to saffron. But I did come across this - http://www.allisonsonline.com/brew/dfh_mt.html - which describes brewing a clone of DFH's Midas Touch, including some specifics for brewing with saffron. For a 5.5 gallon batch, they use a saffron tea by steeping 1.25tsp of saffron in 1/2 cup hot water. They add this at flame-out.

"Saffron Tea: The secret to getting your money's worth with saffron is to... make a tea out of it before you add it to a recipe. Yes, a tea, sometimes referred to as an infusion or "steeping" saffron. This is exactly the same principle you use in making any tea - the longer the saffron steeps, the stronger its flavor, aroma and color. Where saffron preparation differs from tea is that you can release saffron effectively in hot liquid such as water, broth or milk or in room temperature white wine, vodka, rosewater, orange blossom water, white vinegar or citrus juice. In other words, saffron's chemicals respond positively to hot liquid or room temperature alcohol and acids (citrus). The amount of liquid is not important, use whatever is called for in your recipe or add just a teaspoon or two of hot water to a recipe, which will not harm it. Then put the threads or powdered saffron in the liquid and leave it for a minimum of 20 minutes before you add this "tea" to the recipe. Do not remove the saffron threads from the liquid. They continue to release aroma, flavor and color for up to 24 hours which is why saffron dishes and breads always taste even stronger as leftovers. With more flavor, aroma and color release than you would otherwise have, steeping saffron is the most economical way to use this spice. Once you get comfortable cooking and baking with saffron, you will find the longer you steep your saffron, the less you will need per recipe."

Danek said:
... I did come across this - http://www.allisonsonline.com/brew/dfh_mt.html - which describes brewing a clone of DFH's Midas Touch, including some specifics for brewing with saffron. For a 5.5 gallon batch, they use a saffron tea by steeping 1.25tsp of saffron in 1/2 cup hot water. They add this at flame-out. ...
Cool, thanks! Yeah, a tea is what I was thinking of doing. So, it looks like you could up the intensity of the saffron profile by steeping as long as overnight, then adding the tea, threads and all, at flame-out.

Rhoobarb said:
Cool, thanks! Yeah, a tea is what I was thinking of doing. So, it looks like you could up the intensity of the saffron profile by steeping as long as overnight, then adding the tea, threads and all, at flame-out.

Danek's link seems dead now...I have a lot of Midas touch and sumerian brewing recipes...I'm not sure if the one he posted is in my collection....

If you're interested I have a few articles on how the ingredients were worked out by the archeoligists and researched that DFH worked with...And the Maltose Falcons have a great recipe as well, that's the first one that my gf and I are going to brew as part of her research into the ritual uses of beer in preChristian worship...

Oh I finally laid my hands on some Midas Touch this week....I've got it chilling for her and I on the weekend...

World MArket sells a few types of saffron pretty cheap. Kasmiri saffron is top notch and they have some small boxes for a few bucks. I forget the size, but way cheaper than I've seen elsewhere.

Also, Costco sells a giant bowl of spanish saffron for around $15. Can't speak on it's quality, but the size/price ratio seemed extraordinarily good

Well I finally had Midas Touch last night with my GF....Wow that's interesting and potent stuff...

I may do BYO's clone of it soon, then bottle it in Champagne bottles to give as gifts....In the replicator clone they only use a half tsp of dried Saffron/5 gallons...that's not a bad amount to use.

BYO Replicator said:
Dogfish Head Midas Touch
(5 gallons, extract with grains and adjuncts)
OG = 1.078 FG = 1.010 IBUs = 10 ABV = 9.0%

Ingredients
3.3 lbs. Briess light malt extract syrup
1.5 lbs. Briess light dry malt extract
3 lbs. honey (do not boil)
2 lbs. Alexander’s Muscat grape concentrate (do not boil)
0.5 teaspoon dry saffron (boil 15 minutes)
2.5 AAU Willamette hops (bittering hop) (0.50 oz. of 5.0% alpha acid)
2.5 AAU Willamette hops (flavor hop) (0.50 oz. of 5.0% alpha acid)
1 tsp. Irish moss
White Labs WLP500 (Trappist) or Wyeast 3787 (Trappist) yeast
O.75 cup of corn sugar (for priming)

Step by step
Heat 2.5 gallons of water to a boil, add malt syrup and powder and return to a boil. Add Willamette hops, Irish moss and boil for 60 minutes. Add 0.50 ounce of Willamette hops and the Saffron for last 15 minutes of the boil. Add honey at the end of the boil after you turn off the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes to sanitize the honey.

Strain out the hops, add wort to two gallons cool water in a sanitary fermenter, then add the Muscat concentrate and top off to 5.5 gallons. Cool the wort to 80º F, aerate the beer and pitch your yeast. (For a high-gravity fermentation such as this, be sure to make a yeast starter.) Allow the beer to cool to 68–70º F, and ferment for 10 to 14 days. Bottle your beer, age for three to four weeks and enjoy!

All-grain option

Replace the light syrup with 6.0 lbs. two-row pale malt. Mash your grains at 155º F for 45 minutes. Lower the amount of bittering hops to 0.4 ounces.

Revvy said:
Well I finally had Midas Touch last night with my GF....Wow that's interesting and potent stuff...
Is that interesting in a good way, or interesting in an interesting way? I'd seen that recipe and was curious to know how it'd taste, but I'm not sure I'd put away five gallons of the stuff!

Revvy said:
This is 12 bucks worth from Amazon (11 ounces).
I found the same item on Amazon...that's .11 oz. You missed the decimal.

Anyway, assuming that a fairly large quantity of saffron is available at an affordable price from Costco or Sam's Club, I'd look for a VERY light blonde recipe as a place to start. That way, the beer could showcase saffron's delicate flavor amazing bright yellow color.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danek said:
Is that interesting in a good way, or interesting in an interesting way? I'd seen that recipe and was curious to know how it'd taste, but I'm not sure I'd put away five gallons of the stuff!

Well...It's interesting in a good way, but it is unique.

What it amounts to, if you've done any reading on the Midas Touch research, is an equal mixture of a light beer, a sweet white muscat wine, and mead, with a hint of Saffron, which is slightly bitter. It's carbed like a sparkling wine.

If you're interested in the history, here's some articles on it.

http://www.museum.upenn.edu/new/research/Exp_Rese_Disc/Mediterranean/Midas/feastremains.shtml

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3469/is_45_53/ai_94673455

So it has the body and color of a blonde or a hefe, a very noticable grapiness- like a sparkling wine, and a silky mouthfeel of a carbonated mead (Though to me the honey is lost in the flavors, at least until you let the glass warm up a bit.) And a saffron bite.....

Oh also a really noticeable alchohol "bite" heck, it's 9% after all.

The nose was very "hay-like" coming from the saffron.

The odd thing that my GF and I both noticed was that you feel a tingling in your extremeties when you drink it (and she only had half a glass- She loved the taste but thought it was to potent to drink a full 12 ounce- Next time we'll split and drink in wine glasses.) Looking up the medicinal properties of Saffron, I can see why it got the blood flowing...Saffron has been used for millenia because of it's various medicinal properties....

No it is not a daily drinking beer, but something special...If I do decide to brew it, I'll probably bottle it in Champagne Bottles to give as gifts.

According to Dogfish Head's website the beer is mentioned in "The Gourmet Slow Cooker, Simple & Sophisticated Meals from Around the World" by Lynn Alley where there is a recreation recipe of the lamb/lentil stew found in the tomb. THe author recomends serving it with Midas Touch.

I found the Midas Feast Lamb Recipe online...

The Midas Feast
Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients:
1 cup brown lentils
2 teaspoons aniseed or fennel seed
2 teaspoons cumin seed
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 pounds lamb stew meat, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cups dry red win or Midas Touch ale
1 cup chicken stock or water
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons salt
4 cups cooked barley (optional)

Instructions:
Rinse the lentils thoroughly and place them in the slow cooker.

Combine the aniseed and cumin in a mortar or coffee grinder and grind to a coarse powder.

Heat a large saute pan over the medium-high heat and add the oil. In batches if necessary, add the lamb and cook, turning occasionally, for 7 to 10 minutes, until thoroughly browned. Using tongs, transfer the lamb to the slow cooker, arranging it on to of the lentils.

Add the onion to the pan and saute, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes, until browned. Add the spice mixture to the onion and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the wine to the saute pan and stir to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until the wine is reduced by one-third. Add the stock and honey and stir well. Pour over the lamb and lentils in the slow cooker.

Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, until the meat is very tender. Add the salt and serve the stew over the barley.

Yuri_Rage said:
I found the same item on Amazon...that's .11 oz. You missed the decimal.

Anyway, assuming that a fairly large quantity of saffron is available at an affordable price from Costco or Sam's Club, I'd look for a VERY light blonde recipe as a place to start. That way, the beer could showcase saffron's delicate flavor amazing bright yellow color.

Thanks for catching it...I know it didn't make sense. :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
So, you could detect the saffron in the Midas Touch. Good. Then it looks like I'll be using ~1/2 tsp. in mine. Going to Sur La Table and Penzy's tomorrow night to get some cacao nibs and a vanilla bean to brew FermentEd's Chocolate Jitterz (sans coffee) and I'll look for some saffron there.

Yuri, good thinking on a light blonde ale. I'd like to get it as golden as can be. Maybe only using 2-row, a little 10L crystal, one mild, noble hop - Fuggles, Goldings, etc. - and that's all.

I used to get very good quality Saffron for $30 an oz.

I was going to say the same thing, you want that Golden color of the Saffron to show through.

I betcha just doing the midas touch minus the honey and grape concentrate would work.

Ingredients
3.3 lbs. Briess light malt extract syrup
1.5 lbs. Briess light dry malt extract
0.5 teaspoon dry saffron (boil 15 minutes)
2.5 AAU Willamette hops (bittering hop) (0.50 oz. of 5.0% alpha acid)
2.5 AAU Willamette hops (flavor hop) (0.50 oz. of 5.0% alpha acid)
1 tsp. Irish moss
White Labs WLP500 (Trappist) or Wyeast 3787 (Trappist) yeast
O.75 cup of corn sugar (for priming)

Hey I am actually in the process of brewing a saffron ale. Some one gave me about a tablespoon or two of saffron for x-mas which i used with an English Ale recipe my local brew shop owner gave me. I just siphoned the brew into the conditioning bucket and the saffron in the brew stained my bucket red!! I tasted the (I think it is called) wort. It had a certain bitterness to it I have never experienced in beer before. This is only my third brew ever. I was thinking I might try the same thing again with something sweet to counter act the bitterness. But in two weeks, we'll see!!

~tim

Has anyone tried the recipe for Saffron Ale from Buhner's "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers"?

12 ounces molasses
8 ounces brown sugar
1/2 ounce saffron
1 gallon water
yeast

A friend of mine gave me a 4 ounces of saffron from a trip to Morocco, so I gave this a shot, even though I've never tried a beer that was sugar based. It has been fermenting actively for over three weeks (4 this Sunday). I just took a reading, and it was down from 1.010 to 1.006 in the last three days (at about 68F). I did a taste test (i.e. licked the hydrometer) and it tastes a little off. I can't really detect saffron, but it still taste's strongly of Molasses with a little flavor I can't identify...maybe a bit sour, not unpleasant, just sweet and molassesy.

Have no idea when the fermentation will be finished at this rate.

Anyone ever make this recipe? How did it turn out?

How did these turn out - I have a LOT of Saffron as Saffron is 1/10 the price in saudi arabia and a good friend brought back a LOT!

Has anyone tried the recipe for Saffron Ale from Buhner's "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers"?

12 ounces molasses
8 ounces brown sugar
1/2 ounce saffron
1 gallon water
yeast

A friend of mine gave me a 4 ounces of saffron from a trip to Morocco, so I gave this a shot, even though I've never tried a beer that was sugar based. It has been fermenting actively for over three weeks (4 this Sunday). I just took a reading, and it was down from 1.010 to 1.006 in the last three days (at about 68F). I did a taste test (i.e. licked the hydrometer) and it tastes a little off. I can't really detect saffron, but it still taste's strongly of Molasses with a little flavor I can't identify...maybe a bit sour, not unpleasant, just sweet and molassesy.

Have no idea when the fermentation will be finished at this rate.

Anyone ever make this recipe? How did it turn out?

I guess the above cannot even be called beer. No hops, no malt.

I have used Saffron in a few beers, and in a barleywine/Mead/Grape-wine drink ( based on the research that what went into the Midas Touch, but not a beer, very much a wine). When it comes to Saffron it's the saffron coloring strength NOT the amount of saffron you use. Saffron coloring strength affects the flavoring as well as the ability to dye. (Yes saffron was used as a dye and spice). The range is 110-250+, The international standard minimum for Category I saffron is 190. So......1 gram of Saffron at a rate of 110 will NOT give you the same taste as 1 gram at 190. I use 1/2 a gram of saffron at a rated of 240 for a 5 gallon batch of anything i brew. Last you do not need to use hops to call your brew a beer. In the history of beer hops is the newcomer on the block.

Last edited:
I guess the above cannot even be called beer. No hops, no malt.
I am thinking of trying this recipe but it is questionable.
the LD50 rating on Saffron is 5grams. (Toxic amount)
1/2 oz is roughly 15grams.
Now, this recipe makes a little over 1 gallon so I had plans on modifying it to fit into a 1 gallon carboy, and I don't plan on drinking an entire gallon, so consuming all 15grams in one sitting seems untenable.
BUT
A 1 gallon carboy makes me 3 bottles. Which, assuming a nice even distribution amongst the 3 bottles.
it puts the content of saffron of each bottle at roughly 5grams.
I know I'm missing something here but that would make each bottle of Saffron Ale, a lethal one.
Should I simply decrease the size of my finishing bottles? or decrease the overall amount of Saffron.
The price isn't that much of a problem. My hobby has a generous budget.
(New to home brewing, only a few batches of mead under my belt.)

Last edited:
Back