Adding Malt Extract after boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madrean

Reaction score
was wondering if you can wait for a boil before you add the ME.

for all my batches (4 so far) i've added the ME to the water after steeping the grains (155F) and then brought it slowly to a nice boil.

Does it really matter?

Some add it late in the boil (like with 20 minutes left I think) to minimize carmelization and keep the beer lighter.

It doesn't really matter, but if you add ME after steeping and before you turn the flame back on, you have much less chance of caramelizing or burning.

El Pistolero said:
Some add it late in the boil (like with 20 minutes left I think) to minimize carmelization and keep the beer lighter.

light beer? why would you want that!?!!? :cross: :drunk:

:D

I have always read that you remove the grains before it boils, then wait for it to boil, then add the LME and or DME. Anyone want to comment on that? Cause if I am doing something to the taste by doing this, I should like to know what.

was wondering if you can wait for a boil before you add the ME.

for all my batches (4 so far) i've added the ME to the water after steeping the grains (155F) and then brought it slowly to a nice boil.

Does it really matter?

If you add the ME after you have a boil going you have a less likely chance of scoarching it. I bring my kettle to a boil, turn the heat off, add the ME then stir it in real good then bring it back to a boil

With the Blonde I have in my secondary right now I did that. Made my brew like normal except added half of the DME at the begining of the boil then the other half with 10 minutes left in the boil. So far so good, tastes fine and am looking at a final SRM I'm guessing of like 4-5.

I am no expert but after reading about adding the malt late increases IBU's for 2-4 gallon boils, in my last batch I added malt with only 15-20 mins left in boil. The beer is in bottles right now conditioning so I cant say exactly if I achieved higher bitterness, but my brew was lighter than expected and I had hoped it would be a bit darker to go along with the taste.

I'm with Pumbaa. After I get a good boil going I move the pot off the active burner and add the ME then return it to the heat after its good and dissolved. I'm trying to avoid the direct contact with the heat and the extract to avoid burning it.

I haven't tried adding it in different parts of the boil yet; maybe I will next time, I haven't tried brewing anything too light yet.

Pumbaa said:
With the Blonde I have in my secondary right now I did that. Made my brew like normal except added half of the DME at the begining of the boil then the other half with 10 minutes left in the boil. So far so good, tastes fine and am looking at a final SRM I'm guessing of like 4-5.

Any apparent problems with clarity? I'm thinking about how long it usually takes for the DME in my boil to stop producing foam (coagulated protein)...

Add steeping grains as soon as you turn on the heat. Remove at 170*F, if you reach 170*F before 30 minutes turn heat off and remove grain bag at 30 minute mark. Bring to a boil, turn off heat again and add LME (or DME, or candy sugar), stirring so it doesn't burn on the bottom of your kettle. Then bring to boil again. Add bittering and aroma hops, clarifiers or whatever per recipe. Perfect every time. Don’t reduce the LME! That’s the good stuff, 8 or 9 lbs of it can make a truly great beer.

Prost! said:
Add steeping grains as soon as you turn on the heat. Remove at 170*F, if you reach 170*F before 30 minutes turn heat off and remove grain bag at 30 minute mark. Bring to a boil, turn off heat again and add LME (or DME, or candy sugar), stirring so it doesn't burn on the bottom of your kettle. Then bring to boil again. Add bittering and aroma hops, clarifiers or whatever per recipe. Perfect every time. Don’t reduce the LME! That’s the good stuff, 8 or 9 lbs of it can make a truly great beer.
I'm printing this out.

Thanks for the good advice Prost!

Back