Yeast starter/expired yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noz03

Reaction score
I have a canned wine kit (http://www.wilko.com/wine-homebrew-kits/wilko-30-bottle-cabernet-sauvignon-wine/invt/0318378) that passed its best before date about a year ago but I've heard some people still brew them and as long as I can get the yeast to start it should be fine. Anyone have experience on this? Anything I should do differently? I'm planning to make a yeast starter but I dont have any yeast nutrient, would just warm sugar water work?

Thanks for any advice/opinions :mug:

as long as it gets going in a starter, youve basically got new healthy yeast

Id suggest making a small starter (maybe 500ml) first of 1.030-1.040 OG and step it up to get the right cell count

as long as it gets going in a starter, youve basically got new healthy yeast

Id suggest making a small starter (maybe 500ml) first of 1.030-1.040 OG and step it up to get the right cell count

Well I don't have a gravity reader any more but am sure theres a calculator online to work out how much sugar to get that, but would it be fine with just table sugar and water? And what temperature should I keep it at?

As for the dates, the only thing that matters is the yeast right? The juice should be fine 1 year after its best before date?

Yup, works fine if you can get a starter going. You may need multiple steps if it's really old, like m00ps sez, start small and work your way up. I got several yeast packs from my LHBS for free 'cuz they were past their date and they were going to throw them out. I've used a couple of them to build starters and they work just fine. A little difficult to determine the viability but if I get a nice thick pile when it settles out, I'm happy.

Ok well I made the starter 30 minutes ago, (added a squeeze of fresh orange + half a tea spoon of sugar to warm water) and the yeast is already dancing around and bubbling away :) So as long as the grape juice is still ok it should all be good, although I checked and it's actually 18 months expired, so we will see. Anyway will try and remember to post the results in a few weeks :)

Back