Chapel Hill, NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chapel Hill is outside of Raleigh and there is quite a craft beer scene in that area. One of my favorite breweries is Red Oak which has 3 different lagers (a Munich Urtyp (amber lager), Bavarian Bock, Munich Helles). Other NC brews to check out are Highland out of Asheville known for their Gaelic Ale, Duck-Rabbit which is known for their Milk-Stout, Natty Greene's out of Greensboro for their Buckshot Amber and Pale Ale. There are others closer to Raleigh/Durham that I'm not as familiar with such as Big Boss, Fullsteam, and Lonerider.

One cool place in Chapel Hill is Top of the Hill. It is a brew pub where they have their own beers that are very fresh. It is on the corner of the main intersection in Chapel Hill. Not bad food either.

I love the Big Boss Taproom. The atmosphere is fantastic. They don't serve food, but let you bring yours (or order in), and they have couches and board games and free ping-pong, pool, darts, and shuffleboard. And of course the beer they make downstairs. They have five year-round beers and rotate the other every two months.

It's in Raleigh, right off 440, probably 30 minutes from Chapel Hill.

Also, I'll totally vouch for Highland's Gaelic Ale (and Oatmeal Porter) and Duck-Rabbit's Milk Stout. But both are farther away from Chapel Hill, so you wouldn't be able to see the breweries themselves unless you were coming in from the West on I-40.

Top 'o in chapel hill is legit. If you go to the second floor (down 1 from the restaurant) or go in the back door (look for the sign) is a separate bar called 'Back Bar.' hey have cask beer down there as well as pool, darts, and food.

Down the street is also Carolina Brewery. Good food and beers as well

Carolina Brewery is right on Franklin St. and brews some pretty clean beers. It's your typical brewpub, but their beer and burgers are fantastic.

Try Aviator in Fuquay Varina on Broad Street. They has a tasting room and a restaurant.

Natty Greenes has a brew pub in downtown Raleigh

Thanks to everyones suggestions for my trip to Chappel Hill. I was able to try a few locals. One was the Duck Rabbit Milk Stout and I also was able to try the Triangle Belgian Golden Ale. I did make it out to Bull City Burger and Brewery and tried their winter warmer, OK but not the best. They did have some great burgers and there was a nice group of sweet cafe racer bikes parked outside.

Tonight stopped at Tylers Taproom and had some great food and some good pints there. And on the way back to the hotel made a pit stop at Sam's Quick Stop for some beers to take home on the plane. All in all I would say you locals have a great craft beer scene happening here in the Chappel Hill,Raleigh/Durham area.

I would also suggest anyone travelin this way to stop in the Carrboro area and hit up the Spotted Dog. Great food and a good selection of brews.

Spotted Dog indeed has great beer and food.

Another right up the street is Milltown, great food, and one of the best selections of beer in Carrboro! 20 ever changing draft selections and an enormous bottle selection. :mug:

Back