MO SMaSH!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast #1768-PC
Yeast Starter
3L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
NO
Additional Fermentation
NO
Tasting Notes
Smooth with a slight flavor of warm toast coming through. Well balanced with EKG.
15# [96.8%] Pale Malt, Maris Otter
0.5# [3.2%] Crystal Maris Otter
1.00oz East Kent Goldings [7.20% AA] - 60 min - 19.5 IBU
1.00oz East Kent Goldings [7.20% AA] - 15 min - 9.7 IBU
1.00oz East Kent Goldings [7.20% AA] - 10 min - 7.1 IBU
1.00oz East Kent Goldings [7.20% AA] - 5 min - 3.9 IBU

Mash at 150F for 60 minutes at 1.29 water/grain ratio
Sparge with balance of volume at 168F

Chill to 54F, oxygenate with pure O2, then pitch yeast and let ferment for three weeks. Transfer to keg, carbonate over two weeks (at serving pressure) to 2.2 CO2 volumes and enjoy. I was thinking about dry hopping the second 3 gallon keg of this brew, but the first keg was so good that I just couldn't. If you do decide to dry hop, go with approximately 1oz of EKG whole hops per 3 gallons of finished beer, in keg (if you keg), as you're about to place it into the keezer/kegorator/brew fridge. This will give you better hop flavor/aroma (IMO).

The crystal MO is from Rebel Brewer and is a great compliment to the regular Maris Otter base malt.

Goes extremely well with pretty much all foods, as well as by itself. At 6.6-6.7% ABV, it will warm you slightly, but has no harsh alcohol flavors. Bitterness is also rather mellow, with more flavors coming through.

Hey GoldDiggie- I'm doing my first MO SMaSH this wknd. I'm using 10# MO and was thinking 1oz EKG @ 60, 1/2oz EKG@20, 1/2oz EKG @5... What do you think about this recipe/plan? Pretty similar to yours, tho not as big. I'm trying to make a good, sessionable English pale that might appeal to the slim regiment of BMC drinkers at my wedding... Basically, I got 10# MO, 2oz EKG...I WILL make good beer, but perhaps you have suggestions as to my hop schedule...?
Hit Me!!

I really like how mine came out with the hop amounts. How many IBUs will you be getting from your hop additions? I would move the 20 minute to 15 minutes.

I'm in flux due to getting ready to move. But, I'm planning on making another batch of MO SMaSH once I've landed someplace. I'm thinking either another 9 gallons into kegs, or maybe push it up to 12 gallons (fill 4 kegs).

BTW, which yeast are you looking to use?? That will also impact how the brew comes out. Especially with so few ingredients in it.

I'm gonna use S04. It makes me happy. I guess it's Go English! or Go Somewhere Else...? But I've really been pleased with S04. Been making a smoked cherry ale with MO all summer & S04 seems to dry it out enough but kinda leaves the cherries alone, a bit, which I like. The cookie crust mouthfeel & washout from the MO is awesome! Its quite a nice beer. outside w/ friends hovering over some rad pork or chicken on the grill! I will change that 20 to 15, tho. Sorry, I just can't stop talking about that beer! Thanx, Gold!

Hey Gold! Thanks for the encouragement on that MO SMaSH brew. Turned out awesome! Well, so far anyway... Brewed on Sunday with 10# MO & 2oz EKG. Single step mash at 152*F/60 mins, batch sparge, FWH 1oz EKG, 1/2@15 min, 1/2@5 min. Only 2 days in primary w/ S04 @ 60-65*f ambient & already tastes amazing! Pretty dang clear, too. No need to dry hop as that 15 & 5 really puts it in there up front. Definately making this one again real soon. BrewOn, Bro!

Just wait until it's in the glass. I have one keg still untapped of it (I use 3 gallon kegs) and plan to have it on tap as soon as possible once I've moved. I'm not sure if the keg that's on tap now will last until I move (starting on the 15th).

Not sure what your yeast choice will do to/for the brew, but it's almost impossible to go wrong with MO and EKG. :rockin:

Hell's Yeah! I hope your move goes smoothly and you can rebuild your nest accordingly. Pretty stoked to carb this bad ride up & give it all away soon. I've been pleased with resulting taste of S04 & it's clean & clear in a week. Did a couple gravity/taste tests this eve with the MO SMaSH, among others, S04 & 05, and I'm once again pleased with my system and process. Not perfect or ideal but I'm getting good clean ferments quickly w/ no starter, no temp control as its perfect ambient temps to ferment beer if starting in the +50's/-60's right now in my basement. I digress... Cheers!

I'll be getting temperature readings from the basement where I'm moving to once I've started to move in. That way I'll know if/when I'll need to do anything for the batches. I plan on brewing another batch of MO SMaSH shortly after moving all my brewing gear there. It will be at least enough to fill two kegs, if three or four of them. It's going to be nice to have a basement I'll be able to use for brewing/fermenting.

Basements rule. Especially insulated, clean painted basements. Good luck in the move, Gold
You'll be pleased, I'm sure.

Brewed this today with a couple modifications -- used London Ale (WY1028) as a sub since LHBS didn't have the strain you used, used a typical Crystal malt and had to modify the hop schedule due to significant difference in AAU(2oz at 60 minutes, 1 oz at 15 minutes and 1 oz at 5 minutes.) Smelled great, hit 1.070 as SG- am hoping to get better attenuation out of these yeast than anticipated, otherwise I'll have a 1.021 FG and that's a bit sweet for me.

Can''t wait to see how this turns out!

Brewed this today with a couple modifications -- used London Ale (WY1028) as a sub since LHBS didn't have the strain you used, used a typical Crystal malt and had to modify the hop schedule due to significant difference in AAU(2oz at 60 minutes, 1 oz at 15 minutes and 1 oz at 5 minutes.) Smelled great, hit 1.070 as SG- am hoping to get better attenuation out of these yeast than anticipated, otherwise I'll have a 1.021 FG and that's a bit sweet for me.

Using a regular crystal malt makes it NOT a SMaSH recipe. If you used one that wasn't a 55L malt, then the flavor will be different (on top of it not being crystal MO).

Did you skip the 10 minute addition?

Also, using a different yeast strain will give you a different end result. So, in reality, you didn't brew this recipe, you heavily modified it and make a non SMaSH version. :rolleyes:

Hey Golddiggie, you know I love my bitters, this is a cool recipe. I like the purist touch. Now I could not find 1768 even in the Midwest catalogue. I am making a best bitter this week with Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley, and will wash and save the yeast when I'm done. Maybe I'll give this recipe a try with that strain.

It would be difficult to exactly repeat ANY recipe just shopping at a LHBS. If they don't have the desired yeast then a substitue must be made. Ditto for hops which can have radically different alpha acids. So no 10 minute EKG, different yeast and standard Crystal 10L rather than a 55L (not specified as such in original recipe.) Honestly, the crystal addition seemed worthless given its percentage of the overall grain so I doubt it is that perceptable.

That said, I will gladly take credit for this recipe as my own at competition!

Have you had any yet? If so, how did it turn out?

Want to try this, but necessity requires a (hopefully inconsequential!) change - I don't have any MO Crystal, and couldn't easily find a Canadian source - so I'm going to try making my own. There are a few tutorials around to help you make it in your own oven. If it turns out, into this brew it goes!

My LHBS caries White Labs, not Wyeast. I'm looking at WPL13 or WPL22 if I can't find the Wyeast somewhere else. I've got some S-04 as well. The 1768 is described as less flocculent and light fruit so the WPL22 is looking like the best match.

(cancel, sorry thought you said MO not MO crystal)

I would personally just use Fawcett Crystal II, or regular Crystal 60 L.

I make my own malt and it's a little more difficult then described, but within reason. Stir CONSTANTLY or set up a rotisserie!

Back