Oats! Southern Tier Imperial Oatmeal Stout Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCB

Reaction score
I'm in love with - Southern Tier Oat Imperial Oatmeal Stout - and want to make a clone of it. The bottle offers the information:
2-row pale malt / oats / caramel malt / barley flakes / chocolate malt / black malt / kettle hops: columbus & willamette

it's also 11.5%

Ive started dabling in creating my own recipes, but for this one I have no idea how much of each to add.
Any thoughts would be awesome. Thanks guys!

I don't have a clone recipe, but here's what I came up with by taking my oatmeal stout recipe and bumping up the grain into "imperial" territory.

14lbs two row
1lb roasted barley
1.5lb chocolate malt
1lb crystal 40L
1lb crystal 120L
1.5 Victory
3 lbs flaked oats
2 lbs flaked barley
1.5oz Columbus 60
1oz Willamette 60

Based on 70% efficiency, this will get you to an OG around 1.110 and close to 80 IBUs.

Hope this gives you a decent starting spot.

I need to find some. Should be able to. I have had Voodoos More Cowbell Imperial Oatmeal Stout. I have made it a goal to create something that good.

I don't have a clone recipe, but here's what I came up with by taking my oatmeal stout recipe and bumping up the grain into "imperial" territory.

14lbs two row
1lb roasted barley
1.5lb chocolate malt
1lb crystal 40L
1lb crystal 120L
1.5 Victory
3 lbs flaked oats
2 lbs flaked barley
1.5oz Columbus 60
1oz Willamette 60

Based on 70% efficiency, this will get you to an OG around 1.110 and close to 80 IBUs.

Hope this gives you a decent starting spot.

Can you honestly hit 70% efficiency on an Imp Stout? I've not been able to do it unless I split it into two mashes, and I routinely hit about 85% on every other beer. When I try and get 11%+ beers, I have to scale way up and set my target efficiency at like 55%, and mash about 15-16lbs of grain two separate times. That's the only way I've been able to successfully get the gravity over 24P.

Back