Batch Sparge Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkandrust

Reaction score
At what gravity do you typically stop collecting runnings?..And does this help to avoid astringency?

I don't understand the question- when I batch sparge, I add all the water at once and drain it at once. I don't think the gravity will change a bit from the very first draining until the end of the runnings. It's stirred well, so it's the same throughout.

I don't understand the question- when I batch sparge, I add all the water at once and drain it at once. I don't think the gravity will change a bit from the very first draining until the end of the runnings. It's stirred well, so it's the same throughout.

Agreed. when you batch sparge you use a pre-determined amount of water calculated to give you a certain pr-eboil volume, so the gravity of the runnings really isn't an issue, even if you do several sparges.

When I do batch I just use the amount of water in my recipe and figure in some extr for loss to being absorbed into th e grain bed.

I split the water 50/25/25 approximaely. I've measued the three for specific gravity just out of curiosity, but I mixed all three of the pots back together to gain consistency.

I recommend just make sure you use enough water for your recipe.

I didn't use enough water one time. See my link below. This some pretty good beer.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/what-i-thinking-165148/

Back