Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMWMK2

Reaction score
I have been brewing beer for 6 months now, every beer i learn something new. i made an american lager kit, a hoegarden clone, sam adams summer ale clone, all of these were extract kits, and all had an astringent flavor. then i did a mini mash chocolate stout that had a very little astringent flavor. then i switched to all grain, and made a lawnmower lager, had a big astringent flavor. than i made the "triple hopped miller lite clone recipe" on this forum, but it had so much cascade hops in it to tell if all of the astringent was gone.

but then in made a blue moon clone from AHS and i am drinking the first bottle a week early and NO ASTRINGENT FLAVOR AT ALL!!!! I figured it was from my temps being too high with the grains. but MAN!!! i was starting to get discouraged!
I LOVE IT !!! IM HOOKED, CANT WAIT TO TASTE THE SUMMER ALE CLONE THATS IN THE FERMENTOR!!!!!

JUST HAD TO SHARE
THX

Congrats! The first beer that tastes "solid" is VERY exciting! :mug:
Now get ready for years of obsessing over little problems that no one else notices....;)

Now get ready for years of obsessing over little problems that no one else notices....

Agreed....the most critical person is always yourself. Once your pallet gets going, it can be hard to enjoy another beer without looking snobby...I can now tell when a beer has been stored properly or improperly just by the taste. But thats a good thing, right?

I have been brewing beer for 6 months now, every beer i learn something new. i made an american lager kit, a hoegarden clone, sam adams summer ale clone, all of these were extract kits, and all had an astringent flavor. then i did a mini mash chocolate stout that had a very little astringent flavor. then i switched to all grain, and made a lawnmower lager, had a big astringent flavor. than i made the "triple hopped miller lite clone recipe" on this forum, but it had so much cascade hops in it to tell if all of the astringent was gone.

but then in made a blue moon clone from AHS and i am drinking the first bottle a week early and NO ASTRINGENT FLAVOR AT ALL!!!! I figured it was from my temps being too high with the grains. but MAN!!! i was starting to get discouraged!
I LOVE IT !!! IM HOOKED, CANT WAIT TO TASTE THE SUMMER ALE CLONE THATS IN THE FERMENTOR!!!!!

JUST HAD TO SHARE
THX

Could you elaborate a little more on what you think was causing your problem? Was it mashing too high? Sparge temps too high? PH level of mash or sparge?

Could you elaborate a little more on what you think was causing your problem? Was it mashing too high? Sparge temps too high? PH level of mash or sparge?

I think that on the extract batches the steeping water was to high temp and on the allgrain batch it was the sparge temp.
im not completely sure, i did however use the 5.2 ph buffer on this batch thats in the fermentor now and i also treated the water with a campten tablet, so we will see how it comes out. the one im drinking now was not treated with these additives so that leads me to belive it was the water temps.

Back