Hops looking good in South Florida

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pwrflpills

Reaction score
Below is a picture of my Cascade bine from today. They're first year in a container planted in late March. Saw lots of skepticism about the bines flowering in South Florida. Contrary to that I got an early crop and so far so good. Centennials are sending out burrs now.

I remember someone saying that an early crop will be extra bitter...or something. Is there any difference in flavor of early crops? Does heat effect this? It's been REALLY hot down here the past couple weeks (heat index over 100F daily).

Regarding harvesting, the literature I received with the rhizomes said to harvest when they become drier and "paper-like", but some of the first hops could almost be described this way already. I know they're not ready yet, but is there a typical amount of time from burr formation to harvest?

Anyway, just wanted to share my experiment with everyone.
img3722x.jpg

very cool! my wife and I are building a new house early next year and I'd like to start growing my own hops once it's finished... it's good to see you're having some success in the FL heat! please give us updates down the road after you harvest and brew with your hops!

My 3rd year cascades are looking the same. I split the main 20 ways this year, and the "mother" never missed a lick. A very healthy strain for sure !!

Back