Chocolate Strawberry Port

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Beer Buster
Reaction score
This is a panty dropper!

15 lbs – Fresh Strawberries diced up
7 1/2 lbs – White Table Sugar
3 tsp – Acid Blend
1/2 tsp – Tannin
2 cups – Ghirardelli or Hershey's Cocoa Powder
3 tsp – Yeast Nutrient
1 1/2 tsp – Yeast Energizer
3 Gallons – Water
1/8 tsp – Liquid Pectic Enzyme
1/8 tsp – K-Meta
These are extra ingredients for after wine is stable.
8 ounces – Liquid Chocolate Extract
3– Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri Mix
2 lbs – White Table Sugar added to 1 Cup Boiling Water
14 ounces – Monin Strawberry Syrup
1 Pint – E&J Brandy
Pour 1 gallon of warm water in 5 gallon primary bucket or bigger. Add K-meta, Tannin, Yeast Energizer, Yeast Nutrient, and Ascorbic Acid and stir well. Put all fruit in fermenting bag and squeeze over primary to extract most of juices and then put bag in primary. Pour the 1 gallon of boiling water with all dissolved sugar over fruit. Add another 3/4 gallon of cool water in. Take 4 cups of water and the 2 cups of Cocoa powder and mix in blender on low speed and then add this to primary and stir well. You should have a SG of around 1.110 give or take a little, if more then add a little more water, if less then add a little more dissolved sugar in small amount of water as sugars from fruit can vary a little. Let sit for 12 hours with lid loose or with a cloth covering bucket with elastic band or string tied around so as that not to sag in must. After those 12 hours add your Pectic Enzyme and wait another 12 hours while also adjusting your must temp to around 75 degrees. After those twelve hours, pitch your yeast either by sprinkling yeast, dehydrating yeast per instructions on back of yeast Sachet, or by making a yeast starter a few hours prior to the 12 hour mark. At this point either leave primary lid off with the cloth again, place lid on loose or snap the lid shut with airlock. Punch down cap twice daily to get all fruit under the liquid level. When SG reaches 1.015, rack to 6 gallon carboy and let finish fermenting with bung and airlock attached. When wine is done fermenting, (check a few days in a row to make sure SG does not change and SG should be around .998 or less), you can stabilize your wine now with 1/8 tsp of K-Meta powder and 1 1/2 tsp of Potassium Sorbate. At this Point I took all extra ingredients listed above and stirred it all in well and then add the wine to it and stir that in and add fining agent the transfer back to glass at which point you will have approximately 3 1/2 gallons. When cleared, rack off lees and bottle or bulk age with another 1/4 tsp of k-meta

Has anyone else tried this one? I am Curious to how it turned out. Could I use a spare 5 gallon as the secondary instead of a 6. I am running into equipment constraints. Additionally what strain of yeast did you use?

I was wondering if anyone has tried this. I have an empty carboy and need to wine to fill it and this one sounds amazing. Also I was wondering why you would need a 6 gallon carboy for a batch that is under 4 gallons? Any updates would help.

has anyone done this recipe lately? it's getting closer to fall when i've got more time on my hands and would love to give this a go

We just placed this recipe in the primary fermentor. I will leave a note here when I get to the stage of bottling.

We just racked this off.... Smells good.. doesn't taste too bad.. however we misread the instructions and didn't realize this was a 3 gallon recipe.. and we have six...

Going to make the adjustments in the bulk aging ingredient list...

We just racked this off.... Smells good.. doesn't taste too bad.. however we misread the instructions and didn't realize this was a 3 gallon recipe.. and we have six...

Going to make the adjustments in the bulk aging ingredient list...

I just started a raspberry variation of this. Just curious, does the chocolate brown color drop out and leave it red?

Did anyone ever finish a batch of this? Was it good?

Currently Brewing: Cherry and Cinnamon Teabag Apfelwein; Mango and Cinnamon Teabag Apfelwein; Yooper's Banana Wine; Coffee Wine; Disturbd Chemist's Jalapeno and Cucumber Mead; Jalapeño Cream Ale

Aging: Various Teabag Wines; Cherry and Vanilla Cyser; Show Mead; Various Fruit Teabag Wines; Parsnip Wine

Drinking: Apfelwein; Hard Tea; Fruit Teabag Wine.

I am just getting ready to make this. I ordered 20 LBS of Fresh Strawberries from Florida on a Fruit Truck that comes through once a month. I will post how it turns out. Might be awhile :drunk:

Can someone clarify this for me. The recipe says to add K-meta (basically camden tablets) at the beginning and at the end. Is this correct? I thought camden tablets prevented the yeast from starting to ferment and if I were to put it in in the beginning would the yeast even start? I know there is a 24 hour period from the time that is added and the yeast is pitched but I am still hesitant on this.

Thanks

Just bottled this. It is amazing. Been bulk aging for about 8 months. Good strawberry taste with a good chocolate finish. With just a little warmth from the brandy. Highly recommend making this one. Thanks wade. Cheers

Mine has been going since March. It has kinda cleared on the top but half way down its still hazy. Is there something I can use to help clear this. I have already put some isling in it. Or just let it sit longer?

I used the regular single serving size of the daquri pouches. Worked good. This stuff does taste amazing I just wish it would hurry up and clear!!

This recipe ferments down to SG of .998 My understanding is for port you would stop fermentation around 1.040 - 1.030 SG to retain sweetness. This recipe doesnt call for any sweetening after the initial SG of 1.115 (if I remember correctly) Does the final result have all the characteristics port?

The initial camden tablets or sulfite prior to pitching your yeast is typically done to kill off any wild yeast/bacteria that may reside on your fruit. You need to kill these off because they can make the fermentation unpredictable giving off flavors or turning your wine.

Wouldn't you want to use Campden or something if you're squeezing the juice straight in?

I just started a raspberry variation of this. Just curious, does the chocolate brown color drop out and leave it red?

Hey Cody,

How did the Raspberry version come out?
I have a couple of friends that rave about a Chocolate Raspberry wine. I would like to try making some.

thanks

tom

I love the idea of the strawberry port. Not too keen on the chocolate aspect so I may try it and leave out all the chocolate ingredients. Anyone close to completion yet? Taste?

I have done 2 chocolate port variations, when matured the wine holds color similar to Isabella or Rougeon. Is better to keep in carboys for 6 months to allow all suspension to settle to bottom.

Back