Formulating a Brooklyn Lager clone recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beek13

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to brewing, and was wondering if anyone could help me formulate a Brooklyn Lager clone recipe.

Here's the spec info from their website:

Malts: American Two-row malts
Hops: Hallertauer Mittelfrueh, Vanguard, and Cascade
Alcohol: 5.2% by volume
Original Gravity: 13.2 plato; 1053

http://www.brooklynbrewery.com/beer/?id=lager

I guess I'm wondering if someone has had this beer a lot can point me towards which malts, timings, which yeast, temperatures, etc.

or, is there a good book/website i could use to take this info from their website and figure it out on my own?

thanks in advance!

I'm going to follow these general guidelines:

OG:1.053
50-90% american 2-row
0-40% German vienna malt
10% adjuncts for color (cara, crystal)

Hops: 30-40 IBU
Cascade 60 min
Hallertau 30-10 min
Cascade Dry

I will post my recipe once I Promash it out. I'm tempted to put some Amarillo in the dry hop because I love that stuff, but I may not try that this time so I can lower my risk of fumbling.

OK. Here goes!

10 gallon at 1.053 OG/ SRM=12.3
2-row 11 lbs
Vienna malt 7 lbs
crystal 90 2 lbs

IBU = 37.7
1 oz Cascade 60 min
1 oz Cascade 40 min
1 oz Hallertau 25 min
1 oz Hallertau 10 min
1 oz Cascade Dry
1 oz Amarillo Dry

Yeast = German pilsner

I'll let you know next month how it is!

I just made a lower OG lager very similar to this. I was experimenting with using centinnel and cascade plus saaz as finishing. I really like the idea of a premium US lager with the characteristics of the north american hops, like cascade. I used the saaz only for aroma at the end.

My recipe was roughly 85% pilsner, 10% vienna, and 5% crysal 10L - OG 1.045. I added Centennial as the bittering hops, cascade at 15 and 5, and saaz at flameout. IBUs were around 20. I also used 34/70 dry yeast. Its done fermenting, and is in its 1st week of lagering. Man, it tastes awesome. It's similar to a Sierra Nevada Summerfest, if you've ever had that, with crisp hints of citrus. It's gonna be a quaffer.

I know the recipes are totally different, just wanted to chime in with some limited experience with a similar style brew.

What do you think about my 10% Crystal 90L? I thought that was way too much of a too-dark crystal, but I couldn't figure out another way to darken it to a SRM of 12.

A pinch of Chocolate Malt or Roasted Barley will lend color. If you're worried about possible flavor contribution, a pinch of Carafa I, II or III will achieve the same effect.

Roasted grains are often used in minute amounts to add color. Use of Crystal malts to achieve color will almost always take a beer out of balance; you have to use so much more malt to achieve color that it will definitely impact the flavor and mouthfeel.

Bob

FB NQ3X DE K5TWJ
I may throw out the crystal alltogether and go for 5% CaraMunich for my first batch. From my perspective, there is no need for the amber color except for aesthetics.

Here's what I have in BeerSmith. One of these days, I'll get around to brewing this, I wanted to get my house blonde ale dialed in first. Last year on vacation in NYC I became addicted to this beer, it's sooo drinkable.

42.5% 2-row
42.5% Vienna
10% Crystal 60L
5% Flaked Wheat

.25oz Vanguard, FWH
.75oz Vanguard, 60 min
.5oz Vanguard, 15 min (you could use Hallertau here if you have it)
.5oz Cascade, 15 min
1oz Cascade, 5 min
1oz Cascade, DH

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II fermented at around 64*F

OG 1.052, SRM ~9, IBU 30.

FB NQ3X DE K5TWJ
I may throw out the crystal alltogether and go for 5% CaraMunich for my first batch. From my perspective, there is no need for the amber color except for aesthetics.

True dat. I'd rather have the flavor and aroma down first. Clarity and color are important to me - part of my enjoyment of the beer - but not as much as the taste/smell senses.

TNX FB QSO ES CUL OM - 73 - K5TWJ DE NQ3X SK E E

:D

P.S. I'm in the midst of some aerial work - lost my 20m extended double Zepp in a storm a couple weeks ago. Once I get back on the air, I'm good for a sked.

What the hell are you two talking about lol.
I'll have to try this out when I get a lagering chamber set up.

Yup. We're amateur radio operators, sometimes known as 'hams'! The weirdness is shorthand we send each other when we converse in Morse code.

Bob

I got the recipe all put together, fermentation started instantly, and I've got the aroma of dry Amarillo & Cascade in the refrigerator! I think I've got a winner coming!

Oh yeah... I forgot to tell you all...

It was great. I brought a keg of it to a party, and it was enjoyed by all who attended, no matter what their "beer skill level". It is the first brew I brought to a party where I didn't find half-full glasses leftover after the party. Everyone finished their glasses.

The hop character is a lot like some of the awesome pale ales that Brian Peters makes, like Bitchin Camaro from Bitter End and the Ax Handle from Uncle Billys. But the yeast signature is much milder and the beer seems to hold more carbonation like a good lager. The malt tasted like a good vienna lager malt, as expected - not as pungent as an Oktoberfest though. That's good for me, because I don't like Oktoberfest malt flavor.

So far, I've been serving it un-filtered. I will filter one of my kegs and let you know if that removes some of the flavor or if it enhances the overall presentation.

That's great to hear! Congrats on the successful brew. I'm not yet on the level of lagering yet, but I think I'll have to try this one when I get there. Brooklyn Lager is definitely one of my favorite beers and something I would keep in the rotation.

Drinking this now and I find the flavor very similar to my dry hopped centennial blonde.

Back