Dad and Lad Day Smoking Spare Ribs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmb

"I just got a new pet toaster!"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My son, 5 yo, is starting to show interest in cooking and helping around in the kitchen so yesterday was a cook together. We smoked 2 racks of untrimmed spare ribs on the ECB.

Getting everything setup. Notice the fire extinguisher on picture left. He didn't do anything past help me set things up. We've worked on fire safety with him since he could walk as we spend most of the summer around a campfire.

3476553720_219694e078_b.jpg

Spreading yellow mustard and the dry rub on the ribs. Hands on projects work great for kids. Dry rub of brown sugar, paprika, dry mustard, black pepper, granulated garlic, coriander, granulated onion, red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt all ground in the coffee grinder that is never used for coffee.

3476544904_bf5f36a0ac_b.jpg

3475731705_460d99833b_b.jpg

3476551392_16be8bae51_b.jpg

Smoked for 5 hours at 225-250*F over lump charcoal with hickory chunks. Only needed to swap add charcoal once. Love the little $9 kingsford kettle that I picked up to hold the charcoal. Burns much better than the standard coal pan that comes with the ECB.

Nice crust on these. Served dry, without the devil's sauce. :mad:

3475754001_541131637b_b.jpg

Served with coleslaw, baked beans and baked potato.

3475756311_e68bc9ca8f_b.jpg

Beans were modified. 16oz can of Bush's Original, 2TBLs of yellow mustard, 2 TBLs catchup, 2 tsp Frank's Red Hot, 3 TBLs Brown Sugar, and one small onion, diced. Into the oven, middle rack, covered, for 60 minutes at 350*F. Stir once or twice during cooking.

Conner had three trimmed spares and wants to do another smoke up today.

:mug:

Tell that little brat it's not polite to stick out his tongue.

:D:cross:

I'm kidding of course! Looks like it was a great day! The ribs look great, and your little guys looks like he'll make a nice backyard chef someday! Has he helped you with your brewing yet??:mug:

I'm kidding of course! Looks like it was a great day! The ribs look great, and your little guys looks like he'll make a nice backyard chef someday! Has he helped you with your brewing yet??:mug:

He scoops the grain into the barleycrusher. I store my grain in the basement but grind and brew in the garage. We're working on the brewing part. Missus made the mistake of saying it was "stinky" and now he won't hang around and help. :(

We're making Gnome extract rootbeer today to keg and have on draft at the bar.

Some time try mixing fried ground beef with your baked beans.
It tasted very good.

Back