24 oz bottle carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wethead

Reaction score
Hello all, newbie here. Less than 5 batches under my belt. Searched the earlier posts to see if anyone had suggestions on dealing with carbonation levels in the larger 24 oz bottles. My friends always notice a huge difference in carbonation when I serve it out of the 12 oz bottle and the 24 oz one. The 24 oz one is less carbonated and doesn't have as much of the "beer" feeling on the tongue. I batch prime usually 1 oz to the gallon and bottle in both 12 and 24 oz bottles. Each bottle has an inch or an inch and a half of room when I cap them
What can I do to get better results from the larger bottle ?
Typical bottling time is 2 weeks

Grasping for a reason why a larger bottle would require more (or less) priming when you're bulk priming... can't think of one. Don't think there is one.

1. Might want to tighten that spacing on the 22oz bomber to 1/2 inch. I've never had a problem with 1 inch.
2. I gently disturb the yeast before I refrigerate by rocking the bottle upside down. Refrigerate for at least 48 hours.
3. I assume these "bombers" are glass? I've had poor carbonation results with PET.
4. 2 weeks is too soon in my opinion. I crack 'em after 3 weeks, minimum.

Patience. It will likely take more time for the bigger bottles to carb up. Give em an extra week or two longer than your 12s and you should be good. Bottle size doesn't effect priming sugar rates, just the time it takes to have proper effect...

Thank you all. I will bottle my next batch with lesser headroom ( I always suspected that I left too much headroom) and will let it sit a bit longer. I have a couple that have been bottled for 3 weeks now, I will wait for one more week and see if that makes a difference
Cheers

2. I gently disturb the yeast before I refrigerate by rocking the bottle upside down. Refrigerate for at least 48 hours.
Hmm.. What does this do? Haven't heard about that one before

3. I assume these "bombers" are glass? I've had poor carbonation results with PET.
Yes. Glass bottles. Does anyone carbonate in a growler? Local homebrewing store warned me of World War II style explosions if I used a Growler to bottle carbonate

Yes. Glass bottles. Does anyone carbonate in a growler? Local homebrewing store warned me of World War II style explosions if I used a Growler to bottle carbonate

Your local homebrew supply guy is a very knowledgeable person.

Back