Where to find water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmoldow

Reaction score
I live in Charlotte, NC and was seeing if I would be able to find a water report online. I think I could go up to a local gardening store and they might have it but didn't know if anyone would have one?

Thankssss

Useful information, no doubt, but not to a brewer. There are two available routes: 1) get city hall on the phone and ask to speak to a chemist. They are measuring what you need to know but aren't reporting that data as they don't have to and most consumers wouldn't know what the data imply anyway.
2) Send a sample to Ward Labs and get a report on the most significant water parameters. You don't have to know what to ask for as they already do. The cost is modest. Option 2 is doubtless the better option unless, and this does happen, you tell the guy at the water works that you want to know this stuff because you are a home brewer and he says "Me too!". Don't count on this.

Useful information, no doubt, but not to a brewer.

Ah, sorry. I've looked up several water reports for various municipalities I've lived in and they've always contained the mineral concentrations that are useful for brewing - so I assumed this one would to. I guess I should have checked! Now that I'm looking in more detail, it doesn't look like any of the provided reports have the necessary info...

:mug:

I contacted one of the bottled water suppliers in my area (5 gallons for water coolers and the like) and they provided me the local tap water composition as a sales pitch to try to sell their service. ;) You can likely find one to do the same.

Back