Neebie here! Bitter question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tele-Monster

Reaction score
Im pretty new to homebrewing, I have brewed a few batches though (amber and wheat). I just joined the forum, it will be nice to not waste all my day over at the Telecaster Discussion Page!

Rambling aside, I have a question about Bitter beer. I am a huge Boddingtons fan and am wondering if I can brew it at home. Obviously its been done before but my question is: can you carbonated this beer without the nitro widget?

Sub question: Is ESB just another name for bitter beer?

Thanks!
TM

Yeah I think the popularity of the use of ESB was the result of Keystone light's Bitter Beer Face ads. At that time one of Deschutes top selling beers was Bachelor Bitter. By the time those Keystone ads stopped running, they stopped bottling Bitter and their ESB was born.

Sure you can carbonate without nitro.

I am going to say a neebie is a noobie that doesn't kill us with a 6 paragraph first post.

Welcome Neebie!

Bitter is a traditional British style. In order of increasing ABV (although there is a lot of overlap) there is: ordinary bitter; special bitter; and extra special bitter (ESB). English IPAs are sort of a fourth category, being more like a stronger, slightly hoppier ESB than an American hop-bomb pale ale.

Traditionally, the correct way to serve bitter is naturally carbonated from a cask, either by gravity of by a beer engine. The nitro widget is a new fangled thingy, and is certainly not required. If you bottle, just prime as normal. Or keg. Or look into a real beer engine...

ETA - BJCP Entry on English Pale Ale (i.e. Bitter)

I've only brewed from kits so far, not sure Im ready for the deep end just yet. I see my local supply store has a few ESB kits. I will start there thanks for the fast replies everyone!

Noob, Newbie....my bad

Back