Dryhopping right in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangine77

Reaction score
Hello,

Just brewed up an AG American Pale Ale and I have a brewing buddy that has been dry hopping some of his Pale Ales right in the primary. He wait's until it has been fermenting for 5-7 days and then just sanitizes the hop packet and scissors and puts like an ounce of Amarillo Gold or something right in the primary and leaves it for at least another week.

Anyone else have experience with this? Thanks!

I usually do it about a week before I plan on kegging or bottling. So, it's usually a couple of weeks in the primary before I add the dry hops. I add them, wait a week or so, and then keg.

I just kegged an IPA that I dryhopped in primary. The beer came out smelling fantastic!

I waited about 8 days, till visible activity was winding down, steamed the nylon bag, and tossed in 1.5 oz hops. If you use a carboy, it's a pain to get the hops in, but the result was worth it. If you've got a bucket it's easy.

It works just fine, however if you are planning on saving/washing your yeast, it makes it a pain to try and separate the hops from the yeast.

I usually do it about a week before I plan on kegging or bottling. So, it's usually a couple of weeks in the primary before I add the dry hops. I add them, wait a week or so, and then keg.

+1. That way the hops aroma is the freshest possible. There's no problem DH in primary.

After reading Yooper say she does this, I did it for my last DogFish Head 60 clone, and it turned out great. I used a bag, as I was using pellet hops. For a bitter I bottled yesterday, I threw leaf EKG right into the primary after about 4 weeks (as I was waiting on the hops). Cold crashed with gelatin, and it was probably the clearest beer I've had going into the bottling bucket.

Back