Cleaning up old swing tops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
I have recently bought a couple of boxes of 500 ml swing top bottles that I found at a garage sale. They were dry and clean but the metal clamps have definitely seen better days. I think they were probably in storage for a while and it's pretty damp and wet round these parts.

The clamps are a little corroded and even rusty in some parts. What would be a good way to clean them up? Or is it even necessary?

Here is a pic I took of one of them.

IMG_3424.jpg

thanks!

No biggie...I would just clean em w/ a scotch brite pad or brillo. You can remove em from the bottles fairly easily I think. i would get some new gaskets and fill and enjoy.

thanks! I might try a little CLR and see how that works. Just thought someone might have this exact experience.

good suggestion on the gaskets.

+1 on the new gaskets. I would imagine a little elbow grease to get rid of rust/corrosion (or CLR it sounds like). I would definitely soak them in oxyclean or something to work out any crud on the bottom...

I had the same issue with used bottles bought of Craigs list.

The scotchbrite pad worked OK; however, a brass toothbrush style brush worked wonders. Picked up a three pack at Walmart for $3.00. The bristles are stiff enough to remove the crud and oxidation but won't score the metal.

Try either vinegar, an acidic bathroom cleaner, or a CLR type demineralizer. All pretty much a med-mild acids to remove an oxide, but if you don't replate them (well beyond the "worth the effort" quotient) they'll just corrode again.

But then again they're on the outside of the bottle! So just forgetaboutit and more on.

You can also use gun bluing to "coat" and treat the metal. It will turn the metal dark (gun blue) but it will protect the metal. The stuff is cheap too.

Back