water jug as carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-rags

Reaction score
I saw someone selling 5 gallon jugs of water cheap, like $5 -- the kind that go in a water cooler. Are these jugs suitable for brewing as carboys?

Thanks! (I did do a search, but apparently not a good one).

Sometimes searches get cranky. I'd say no on the water jug... I am in the middle of transitioning to all glass carboys (from buckets), as long as you don't drop them they're golden.

You can use them as long as they are rated 0, 1, or 2. I have a 5 gallon jug I was going to use but it is a 7. Big no no on that. It is way too toxic.

You can use them as long as they are rated 0, 1, or 2. I have a 5 gallon jug I was going to use but it is a 7. Big no no on that. It is way too toxic.

Rating doesn't imply food grade, from all the research I've done on it, it lets the recycle places know what type of plastic it is.

They are suitable for holding 5 gallons of Starsan solution. Just get it filled with RO or distilled water and add an ounce of Starsan. You will then have 5 gallons that will last for months.

Rating doesn't imply food grade, from all the research I've done on it, it lets the recycle places know what type of plastic it is.

I know but the rating does imply certain levels of toxicity. Especially when heated. Europe has already banned certain levels of plastics, including level 7, from numerous applications like childrens toys and cooking plastics.

Since a water jug most likely will come in contact with hotter water temps and will be storing a consumable for long periods it is not wise to really use one that has a rating that high. Most water jugs that are rated that high are recommended for only one use.

So yeah it doesn't indicate food grade however it does indicate possible warnings to the consumer. There is a good explanation of this in the FAQ section but also you can Google the topic and come up with a lot of info.

Oddly enough I knew about this issue before I started brewing so even though I am green at brewing the plastic issue has been around for a while in my life.

Level 7 plastics can cause various illnesses and ailments in humans. Ovarian cancer, lower testosterone, etc...

I use a big canvas bag. It helps me carry it and it also covers it and shields it from light.

Latest posts

Back