Homebrewing Blog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just back from a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. GREAT beer to be had out there - new post on the blog!

I added a recipes tab on mine today. How many of you guys have one and why or why not.

Cheers.....this has been a lot of fun.

I have "Brew Log" that lists all my brews with links to the recipe posts and tasting notes. I just updated it with a new look, which I really like.

I internationally kept the IBU's low to not compete or mask the pumpkin. I have been going back and forth on the smoked and coffee malt. I agree, I don't want the pumpkin to be masked but I also want some other complimentary flavors in there as well. I need to think it over. At the moment I am thinking about dropping the coffee and keeping the smoked. I think the smoked will work nice with the roasted pumpkin but interested in others opinions...

I like the recipe you have there now, without the coffee malt. I think the smoked malt could be interesting and I don't see anything out of place for a Smoked Pumpkin Porter type beer. Though I don't see the need for the honey - if you are looking for increased ABV, I'd just add more malt or extract. You're not going to be able to detect any honey flavor/aroma with everything else going on in there.

The honey was to boost the ABV a little. I decided to use honey because I have a bunch on hand, and I also like to try out something new with each batch... I've never put honey in a porter before so why not

Just back from a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. GREAT beer to be had out there - new post on the blog!

I have "Brew Log" that lists all my brews with links to the recipe posts and tasting notes. I just updated it with a new look, which I really like.

I really like your blog going to add it to my blog role. Keep it rolling looking for to see how your Brett beer works out

Posting here a lot. You really need to update new content frequently to keep people coming back and get Google to list you more and drag you up the search results. You can also pimp your blog out with seo to drive you up the results.

scottland said:
Don't take this as rude, but: You literally just started a blog. It takes time to build traffic.

Focus on writing good, interesting, original content that people would want to read. Include some good photos, and the rest should take care of itself.

There's a quote from Steve Jobs somewhere that said something along the lines of: The reason we sell more products than our competitors, is because we don't focus on selling products. We focus on making amazing products, the selling takes care of it self.

I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea. That, and just be patient. Rome wasn't built in a day.

The great irony that apple is masterful of marketing and branding.

for those following my blog, I just tasted my Smoken dirty blond ale. It is a really great beer. Prob the best beer i have made in 5 years or so of brewing. It tastes like a much lighter version of Newcastle which was unexpected but fantastic. You can find the recipe as well as more details on the beer on my blog

I brewed up a dry stout yesterday and posted the recipe. I'm hoping I can keep brewing and posting on Sundays at a minimum, but I failed at this last weekend.

Damn school taking time away from brewing again :(

thought this night be helpful to some others. I made some charts for the White Labs Ale yeast strains that I use all the time now. There are 4 charts comparing the following for each white labs strain

Attenuation
Flocculation
Optimum Fermentation Temperature
Alcohol Tolerance

there is a Link on my blog below to the 4 PDF files if you are interested
http://angryocelotbrewing.blogspot.com/2012/08/white-labs-ale-yeast-charts.html

I just went public with a brand new project I've been working on. Taking my blog to the next level and bringing it to YouTube. This is just the first of many videos. We have some absolutely crazy stuff to review and we already have quite a few videos recorded that we will be releasing in the next couple of weeks. Please subscribe, like, comment, share, follow, whatever it is the kids do these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awesome! I have thought about doing a couple videos but need to get a camera first. Anyways, I posted some pics of the upgrades I made to my brew kettle on my blog. Check them out

Yeah that was my biggest hold up as well. I feel if you are just sitting in front of your webcam doing reviews you are going to have a tough time breaking into the scene and getting a ton of viewers. My buddy Nick went to school for and gets paid to take pictures/film for a living. I went to school for and get paid to drink/sell beer for a living. With our forces combined we figured we could make a pretty cool series. It's obviously only a couple videos in at this point so we are still working to get over the whole "talking to a camera" type thing. It will only get more polished as we go along.

I got a really good response from the Ale yeast charts I made and posted and I was asked if I could make the same charts for other yeast categories.... I have just posted charts for the White Labs Specialty/Belgian Yeast strains. If you are interested and found the others useful, you can get the new ones on my blog in my signature

A buddy and I write on a general beer blog. I have a Homebrew page. The link is in my sig.

I think he just posted something on Märzen....

Looking Good everyone! I have been busy starting a new job and haven't been following this thread as much as I would like to. Please PM me if you are not on the "Other Homebrew Blogs" right sidebar on my blog. I def want to make sure I am promoting everyone elses blog, and it is also the easiest way for me to follow everyone as it puts the most recents posts at the top.

Just posted my tentative brew schedule for the next year: http://shegoguebrew.blogspot.com/2012/09/2012-2013-brew-schedule.html

Looking Good everyone! I have been busy starting a new job and haven't been following this thread as much as I would like to. Please PM me if you are not on the "Other Homebrew Blogs" right sidebar on my blog. I def want to make sure I am promoting everyone elses blog, and it is also the easiest way for me to follow everyone as it puts the most recents posts at the top.

Just posted my tentative brew schedule for the next year: http://shegoguebrew.blogspot.com/2012/09/2012-2013-brew-schedule.html

just checked... Im on there. thanks for the link i will add you to mine as well

Many great blogs in this thread! I'm looking forward to reading a lot of them. I just started one myself. I recently moved to New York, so a lot of it will be centered around brewing in small places (I'm in Brooklyn), discovering new beers and events on the east coast, and other in-depth homebrew discussion. No videos, I'm far too ugly for that. You can check it out here:

Brooklyn Brew Blog

wonderbread23 said:
Many great blogs in this thread! I'm looking forward to reading a lot of them. I just started one myself. I recently moved to New York, so a lot of it will be centered around brewing in small places (I'm in Brooklyn), discovering new beers and events on the east coast, and other in-depth homebrew discussion. No videos, I'm far too ugly for that. You can check it out here:

Brooklyn Brew Blog

Nice ill add you to my list tomorrow when I'm on my computer!!!

Welcome to the east coast.

Ive posted a little update on some recent brewing. Also, Im going to be brewing a batch using Yohimbe bark. I talk abuot that a bit as well. Its going to be an interesting brew to say the least.

Loving all the posts on here. If someone doesnt tell me they did an update I would never know. So I appreciate it. Also, I realy like the youtube bit. Thats a great idea and you've done it well.

Well, things change quick! I ended up slightly rebranding my blog to a different name that better fit the content I'm producing / planning to produce.

bkbrew.com was the old URL, and can now be found at:

The Pour Report
I love your header with the beer bottle/city scape!

Ive posted a little update on some recent brewing. Also, Im going to be brewing a batch using Yohimbe bark. I talk abuot that a bit as well. Its going to be an interesting brew to say the least.

Loving all the posts on here. If someone doesnt tell me they did an update I would never know. So I appreciate it. Also, I realy like the youtube bit. Thats a great idea and you've done it well.
Stinks about that stuck sparge! Nothing worse than something makes a mess up a brew day. Will be interested to see the research on this bark. Are you thinking about using it in the boil, for aging or both? I think Dogfish uses some bark or tree root in their bitches brew?

Keep the updates coming everyone!

I just posted on how I feel Seasonal beers come out too soon, and depart to early. Let me know what you think by leaving a comment!

A bunch of new posts up shortly. Stay tuned. I think i've read just about every blog listed in this thread now. I love seeing all the different perspectives. Best obsession/hobby in the world.

No blog updates recently, but I'm currently in the middle of brewing a pumpkin beer (34 minutes left to go in the boil) with my "patented" shredded raw pumpkin in the mash. :)

I'll be posting about the brew soon I'm sure. Also need to get around to some long-overdue tasting notes...someday!

No blog updates recently, but I'm currently in the middle of brewing a pumpkin beer (34 minutes left to go in the boil) with my "patented" shredded raw pumpkin in the mash. :)

I'll be posting about the brew soon I'm sure. Also need to get around to some long-overdue tasting notes...someday!

Would like to see a some design, or blog post, on this patent :) I just did a pumpkin beer last saturday and even with a ton of rice hulls (which I never use) i had a stuck sparge multiple times...almost thought I was going to have to scoop the mash into a nylon back to separate it! Ended up working fine after a lot of blowing

Would like to see a some design, or blog post, on this patent :) I just did a pumpkin beer last saturday and even with a ton of rice hulls (which I never use) i had a stuck sparge multiple times...almost thought I was going to have to scoop the mash into a nylon back to separate it! Ended up working fine after a lot of blowing

Tired of a stuck sparge when brewing a pumpkin beer? Don't want to waste your money or time dealing with those messy rice hulls, but still want all the pumpkiny goodness from using real pumpkin in your brew? Well, now you can, with this limited-time offer! For just three installments of $9.99 (plus applicable shipping and handling) you can start brewing the best pumpkin beer of your life...without any of the usual pumpkin problems! But, wait, there's more! Be one of the first 100 customers and I'll throw in a handy-dandy beer belt for FREE! That's right. FREE! Now you can guzzle down those pumpkin beers in style! :D

Nice thread! I have been keeping up with a blog since I started brewing a year and a half ago. Just added some photos of my homegrown hops that will soon be harvested. http://www.lukesbrews.blogspot.com/2012/09/homegrown-hops-harvest-is-near.html
I love seeing traffic on the blog, let's me know there are people actually reading it! Hope you all enjoy and I definitely welcome comments.

Cheers!

hey Brett.. one it's racked, you should do the project where you tap a pumpkin and serve from that!!

hey Brett.. one it's racked, you should do the project where you tap a pumpkin and serve from that!!

I would be tempted to do this If I was going to be consuming it all in one sitting at a party or something! However, I think Im going to just keg it so I can enjoy it throughout the fall season :)

Thanks! I've had a lot of fun building it so far as well as documenting it in the blog. Never was into blogging but this hobby kind of gave me a reason.

Been noticing a lot of big beer brewing questions pop up here and at northern brewer and have been planning my next RIS so I figured I'd toss together some simple rules and post them for my benefit and anyone else out there. Nothing revolutionary, but could save us a few "How do I restart fermentation on my 1.212 Barleyewine" questions. Mostly just yeast and fermentation tips.

Anyways, it's in my signature now.

Been noticing a lot of big beer brewing questions pop up here and at northern brewer and have been planning my next RIS so I figured I'd toss together some simple rules and post them for my benefit and anyone else out there. Nothing revolutionary, but could save us a few "How do I restart fermentation on my 1.212 Barleyewine" questions. Mostly just yeast and fermentation tips.

Anyways, it's in my signature now.

Good Stuff! I like that you referenced some of the other "Big Beer" long-winded articles and reinforced some of the key points. It always saddens me to see people who have posted with a problem on a big beer when they didn't take the time to fully grasp the big process, which is similar, but very different from a normal brew and brewday.

I wrote about this subject a while back, but took a broader approach: http://www.shegoguebrew.blogspot.com/2012/05/high-gravity-brewing.html

Good Stuff! I like that you referenced some of the other "Big Beer" long-winded articles and reinforced some of the key points. It always saddens me to see people who have posted with a problem on a big beer when they didn't take the time to fully grasp the big process, which is similar, but very different from a normal brew and brewday.

I wrote about this subject a while back, but took a broader approach: http://www.shegoguebrew.blogspot.com/2012/05/high-gravity-brewing.html

That's a good posting. Short and too the point which I like and need to work on. A couple good points I left out too like boil time and extract efficiency. Definitely extract efficiency, but I was aiming more toward answering those same questions that pop up all the time which are mostly about poor fermentation. Maybe an update is needed. Thanks!

That's a good posting. Short and too the point which I like and need to work on. A couple good points I left out too like boil time and extract efficiency. Definitely extract efficiency, but I was aiming more toward answering those same questions that pop up all the time which are mostly about poor fermentation. Maybe an update is needed. Thanks!

I tend to run on soooo often haha. This is def one of my more well laid out posts. I think Separating sections with the use of bold, or numbers (like you did) is a must in blogging and I def don't don't it often enough! So many people skim now adays and if its a bunch of paragraphs its hard to stay on the page!

Back