more first timer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWAMPER

Reaction score
first batch question, think I made a booboo but not sure how big of a one it was, I made a extract Irish Pub Ale and when I steeped the grains I had the temps to high, I let the water boil then turned the heat off and put the grain bag in and added some cold water to help drop the temps but the temps started at around 190* and slowly dropped and they steeped for 35min. what will this do to my beer ? other than that all seemed to go fine.
I know not to put the thermometer in the water then heat up to 160* then turn off the heat and try and keep it around 155*

How long was the water temp above 170 with the grains in? If it wasn't but a few minutes you will probably be ok. Otherwise you might have some bitter flavors...

never be in a hurry when brewing. boil 1 gallon water for 10 min or so. leave the top off the pot and let it cool naturally to about 160ish. then steep your grain. you can put the lid on the pot then to keep more heat from escaping. may need to add a little heat now and then to keep the temp in the proper range. anything between 150 - 170 should be fine.

now with that said. you probably extracted some tannins from the grain. this, if i remember, will give your beer a more bitter/sour taste. your going to have to taste it and see.

again don't be in a hurry. wait 2 weeks before bottling. wait another 2 weeks before drinking.

Even if you did extract some tannins, you might not be able to notice it since this is an extract recipe. It would depend on what else is in the recipe and how much of it. Your extracts and other added ingredients might cover it up...

Probably not a HUGE mistake as I have done this and can not think of any BAD problems.

Next time get the water to 165ish. Heat the oven to 150-170 and once the grains go in the water turn off the oven and put the pot into the oven.

It'll keep it nice and even for ya! Don't worry about oven temp being exact - it's just a nice warm place that will not suck out heat from the wort.

not really in a hurry just didn't know/think when i did it:mad:
been sitting for just over a week was going to rack to secondary end of this week

Probably not a HUGE mistake as I have done this and can not think of any BAD problems.

Next time get the water to 165ish. Heat the oven to 150-170 and once the grains go in the water turn off the oven and put the pot into the oven.

It'll keep it nice and even for ya! Don't worry about oven temp being exact - it's just a nice warm place that will not suck out heat from the wort.

bingo. that's what i did when i did extract batches.

cool idea, i did it out side in a turkey fryer pot and burnner and the temps out side were low 90's so think thats why it took so long, i thought the temps would drop much quicker .... my bad

Back