Mash Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
I'm brewing Janet's Brown from Jamil's book. For the AG recipe it says, "Reduce the 60 minute Northern Brewer addition by .75 oz (previously 2 oz) and instead add a 1 oz mash hop addition of Northern Brewer".

Now, understand about the mash hopping. Here's my question, the wording in the above paragraph is vague. I know I need to add 1 oz to the mash (currently doing). Do I still use a bittering addition at 60 or is that replaced by the mash hopping? If I do the bittering addition do I add 1.25 oz? It's the wording that gets me. Beersmith doesn't help me with the calculations that I can see.

Thanks for the quick help.

I've brewed it. I did the 1oz mash hop and tossed in 1.25oz at the start of the boil. Very, very tasty stuff with incredible hop aroma.

8.5 # Light DME
1 # Wheat DME
1.25# Dextrine Malt (Carapils)
1.25# Crystal 40
.5# Chocolate Malt

2 oz Northern Brewer at 60
1 oz Northern Brewer at 15
1.5 oz Cascade at 10
1.5 oz Cascade at 0
Dry Hop with 2 oz Centennial

Use WLP001 or similar neutral strain

I'm doing it AG so I replace the extract with 12 # 2row and 1 # wheat mashing at 155.

Use the directions from the OP when doing it as AG.

A couple FYI notes...

I'm fairly certain this is the recipe that Tasty won gold with in the specialty beer category at Nationals. I exchanged a couple PMs with him about the beer as I was impatiently waiting for it to carb up in bottles and he said the beer really hits its stride at 10 weeks or so and I'd agree...definitely something I'd keep in the pipeline.

+1 on 10 weeks to hit its stride.

I brewed the extract version last Oct. Nice and hoppy. The beer was very good when I started drinking it in Dec. The last couple of bottles, when I finished the batch in late Feb. were heavenly. Will be brewing this again but all grain.

I'm brewing it for a party in 7 weeks so maybe it'll be a little green but she'll still do the trick

i have it on tap right now, its an awesome beer.

Back