So this has been on my mind for a while now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSBrewer

Reaction score
So I've noticed that around 1/2, maybe more, of the posts on this web site begin with "so" as the first word. It's a strange phenomenon and I haven't figured it out yet. I'm afraid I may never figure it out as I dull my brain's cognitive ability with fermented malt extract.:confused:

It seems to be a common phenomenon on message boards to do that over the past few years. I have done the same thing as well, it just seems to be habit. Did you happen to notice you did the same thing with your beginning sentence as well?

Maybe this is a phenomeon that occurs with posters that actually think before they post. They ponder the topic in their head, have a little mental converstion in their mind. By the time they start typing, they are merely concluding thier own conversation....."So, does anyone else like warm BMC?"

That's just a theory of course. I never start a post with "So" myself, but then again I never think before I post either. (Obviously) :)

I like the fact that it implies a continued conversation amongst friends. Of course if you start your first ever post here with "so", you'll be beat to death with an autosiphon.

I've noticed that I start mosts of my answers to questions with, "Well, ...."

It was hard for me to not do that this time!

I think it's because I've been thinking about the question and what the problem could be, and just as I would in person, I answer it by continuing the conversation. I also think that many of us post as if we are in conversation- I know that my writing style here is very much like my IRL talking style.

So, there are my thoughts on this subject!

Maybe this is a phenomeon that occurs with posters that actually think before they post. They ponder the topic in their head, have a little mental converstion in their mind. By the time they start typing, they are merely concluding thier own conversation....."So, does anyone else like warm BMC?"

That's just a theory of course. I never start a post with "So" myself, but then again I never think before I post either. (Obviously) :)

I've noticed that I start mosts of my answers to questions with, "Well, ...."

It was hard for me to not do that this time!

I think it's because I've been thinking about the question and what the problem could be, and just as I would in person, I answer it by continuing the conversation. I also think that many of us post as if we are in conversation- I know that my writing style here is very much like my IRL talking style.

So, there are my thoughts on this subject!

It's official! I'm a bloody rocket scientist!! (Or whatever it is you people who are good at guessing)

I did some contract work at Dell one time and everyone who works there starts every conversation & email with the word "so". Even when they're not at work.

I always thought it was strange, then I started doing it like it was contagious or something.

So, I was thinking about this and it seems to me that starting a sentence with "so" or "well" is kind of a breather moment after you take your turn to speak to have a last chance to organize your thought. Rather akin to "um" or "ahh."

I really don't see the purpose in written context unless one is trying consciously or unconsciously to emulate informal spoken patterns.

Well, so what you are saying is that .....um......

WHO CARES!!!!;)

Just kidding!

Is it grammatically against the rules? like starting a sentence with "But..."?

I would second the notion that it is an informal continuation of a conversation.
Just as the word "Well" is used in the same manner.

As in...

Person A: "I went to the LHBC to get Roasted Barley for this Stout and they were out. Do you believe that?"
Person B: "So...what did you get as a substitute?"
Person A: "Well... I'm going to lose some roast qualities but I split the substitution in half with Special B and Special Malt. I know the Barley isn't malted, but it's still going to be a great beer."

*note: no critique necessary on the substitution thought :p*

It's official! I'm a bloody rocket scientist!! (Or whatever it is you people who are good at guessing)

When you say 'you people' are you referring to 'you people from the US'? Or you people on this website?

It was a typo. I was so excited at being proven right for the first time in my life, that I got carried away:cross:....It was supposed to read :-
It's official! I'm a bloody rocket scientist!! (Or whatever it is you CALL people who are good at guessing)

I'm sorry for the typo, I'm an over-enthuiastic idiot. It will happen again in future posts.....Lots of times! ;)

so.jpg

Back