1st AG - Belgian Blond!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommish

Reaction score
I am so exhausted.

All went pretty well. Did a batch sparge and got just shy of 75%. I am so psyched about the color-- I have never been able to get anything this color (pale straw-- about 4.5 SRM) with extract.

The only issues I had were pretty much expected. Since I have an electric stove and no outdoor propane as of yet, I was not able to get the hot break I wanted. Also, I collected about a 1/2 gallon more than I had hoped for because my boil off was far lower than I expected. Fortunately, I got a great cold break from the new wort chiller.

Also, I undershot my strike temp by about 6 degrees. After adding a couple of quarts of 180 water I was still under temp and since my MLT was nearly full, I did a small decoction which brought everything up to snuff.

Because of my burner-challenged setup, it took about 8 hours but I think it looks like it will be beer :)

nice. I have the same problem on my stove with full boils., 3 hours to bring my 6.5gallons to a rolling boil.

Hey man if you ask me. Who cares if it takes 5 or 8 hours. If you come out with a good beer. Mission accomplished. On the other hand turkey fryers at wally word are only 30 bucks. Do yourself a huge favor. Instead of going out drinking one night. Just go to wally world.

Next batch for sure-- going to wally world!

I was just griping because the sense of accomplishment had not quite sunk in like it has now. I was still in "what do I need to do next?" mode when I posted. I am totally psyched now that I have made it through my first mash with a fermenter full (1/2 gallon fuller that usual) of fairly decent looking beer.

I reallized after I cooled the wort that I had forgotten the irish moss. Might have to do a gelatin dealie in a few weeks... no biggie though.

That AG trub sure is fuggly though, right? :drunk:

Was bubbling like crazy after only 4 hours. I did a blow-off tube for the first time ever, just because I thought I had better since I did a two-step starter. When I got up this a.m. it was about 60 seconds from overflowing the blow-off flask <whew>.

Quaker Blond:

10 lbs. pale 2-row
1 lbs. flaked oats

75 min @ 146 - 153 (15 min decoction of about 1 1/2 quarts)

.75 oz Sterling (boil 60 min)
2 lbs honey (boil 60 min)
.75 Sterling (boil 10 min)
.5 Sterling (steep 5 min)
White Labs WLP 575 Belgian Style Ale Blend

Back