stubby bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranceamerica

Reaction score
anyone know where to buy stubby bottles at? like red stripe, but without the painted on logo...

EDIT: If I can find the answer, would you want to buy stubby bottles too? They're my favorite type of bottle, but so hard to find...

check out Full Sail's Session lager....it's an ok beer but the bottles are cool stubby ones.

They are twist offs though so you'll need a bench capper

Alamo_Beer said:
check out Full Sail's Session lager....it's an ok beer but the bottles are cool stubby ones.

They are twist offs though so you'll need a bench capper
You'd need one for Red Stripe bottles too. Though they are pop tops the neck does not have enough of a collar for the twin level capper.

Craig

I remember a few years back, a friend's father had a stash of maybe 50 dozen Molson Canadian from the 70's in his basement. They were in Stubby bottles but he never did want to part with them. The funny thing was they were still full of beer.

One night we were there and drunk, so we decided to crack one open and have a taste, wasn't the best idea.

That guy also had the biggest playboy collection ever...which he also wouldn't part with.

I use the SN stubby's from time to time (don't bottle much), but they aren't AS stubby as a redstripe or duvel. The duvel bottles are definitely nice, but I've never purchased a case of duvel, so I maybe have 6 max of them. I can imagine that it's not too cheap to buy a case of Duvel...

I used the stubbys from North Coast Brewing (Old Rasputin) and from Geary's (Hampshire Special Ale). These worked just fine but I only had 10 of them.

Anchor beers come in a shorter bottle style. But I had trouble capping them with my capper last weekend, didn't feel like the cap seated just right.

CBBaron said:
You'd need one for Red Stripe bottles too. Though they are pop tops the neck does not have enough of a collar for the twin level capper.

Craig

I ran out of bottles last weekend and had to use a few red stripe bottles. They capped just fine with my red twin level capper. There are definitely some bottles that require a bench capper, but I don't think Red stripe is one of them.

To the OP - I thought I read some threads about removing the paint from the red stripe bottles. I forget what what they recommended, but it might be worth searching for that and trying it out.

I like the euro stubby type with the lumpy neck
BE032.jpg

-ander

Glad to hear the Red Stripe caps fine with a twin lever. It didn't look like it to me but it didn't matter because I already have a bench capper.

My favorite bottle is Orval
verre-soleil-jpg.gif

I just really like to smooth lines of this bottle. Ofcourse acquiring large numbers of these bottles would be very expensive.
I also really like the shape of a Red Stripe but ofcourse they come with a painted label and the beer is not something I want to drink.
I have a few of the Bud Lite aluminum bottles that I also really like. These are printed in Black and Gold with Steelers 75th anniversary logo on it so I can ignore the Bud Lite on the other side. These do require a bench capper as there is no collar on the neck. The bottles are about the size of a 12oz but hold 16oz and are much lighter than the glass. In addition there is no chance of shattering.

Craig

I have a bunch of stubbys if you would like but it would be realy expensive to ship them too you. If you want to look into it I am in Cold Lake Alberta T9M 2C4. They where left over from an older fellow who passed away and his wife was just going to return them to the bottle depot for the deposit. She brought them to the local Homebrew suppy shop. I belive I paid $3 a dozen for them. They show their age with scratches and what not but I sure like em.

Wing nut

Wing Nut said:
I have a bunch of stubbys if you would like but it would be realy expensive to ship them too you. If you want to look into it I am in Cold Lake Alberta T9M 2C4. They where left over from an older fellow who passed away and his wife was just going to return them to the bottle depot for the deposit. She brought them to the local Homebrew suppy shop. I belive I paid $3 a dozen for them. They show their age with scratches and what not but I sure like em.

Wing nut

don't they still sell beer in stubbys in CA? I'll look into it - how many do you have?

I was lucky enough to stubble across an old homebrewer who was putting out 8 pop-shoppe flats of stubbies on his driveway with a "free" sign on them. As well, I had been saving Phoenix Gold stubbies from Phillips Beer (sadly, they can't get a supplier for stubbies anymore). Nothing is cooler than stubbies.... well, maybe my 1L self cappers :)

I bottled my Berliner Weisse in Stubbies.

My brew partners father-in-law bought 10 cases of Rainier and Olympia Stubbies at a garage sale for 1.00 a case.

Berliner Weisse Stubbies.jpg

Glad to hear the Red Stripe caps fine with a twin lever. It didn't look like it to me but it didn't matter because I already have a bench capper.

Does anyone know if the Negro Modelo bottles work with a twin lever (wing-capper)?

I just got two cases of Red Stripe/Negra Modelo/Amstel Light and I don't really like how they look. If I could I would trade them for regular bottles.

I went to the local recycling center and picked through and got 45 Sierra Navada bottles. They are not quite as stubby as Red Stripe, but they're a bit more squat than the usual ones. Here's what it looks like.
SierraNevadaPaleAle.jpg

And the price was right.... free. They are in the dishwasher now. I'll peel the labels off and I've been working on my Brew labels and name while the first batch is in primary.

Here's what I'm looking at so far. The name translates to : The Loud-Kissing Beaver in Serbian.

SD_label.gif

I have several dozen Sierra Nevada/Lagunitas bottles that I prize for bottling. Also, Woodchuck Cider has switched to pry-off. I bottled some irish stout in their fancy green bottles for St. Patrick's day!

CGWOLF said:
I have several dozen Sierra Nevada/Lagunitas bottles that I prize for bottling. Also, Woodchuck Cider has switched to pry-off. I bottled some irish stout in their fancy green bottles for St. Patrick's day!

I use the Woodchuck bottles when I make soda for the kids, I like the Irish Stout in green bottles, I might "borrow" that idea for next year.

Ohhh. Stubbies are nice. Boulevard recently went to pry-off, so there is another one for the list.

I got old school stubbys bottles from Genesee Brewery here in Rochester, NY, but the unfortunate things is you have to drink the beer to get the bottles....Yea not that good of a beer line, thought the Cream Ale is the flagship of Cream Ales in the USA, at least that's what I have been told.

Redhook beers use a kind of stubby. They're different than SN with a little ring around the neck. Get some Winter Hook if it's available, it's delicious!

2013-01-15 18.29.27-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back