Pellet vs Leaf Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInCtown

Reaction score
I know i have seen the question before but I can't remember the answer. I have a few ounces of leaf hops and am wondering how the AA or flavor compares to the pellet version. I just figured one ounce = one ounce, but now I'm wondering if maybe the leaf would be a bit stronger overall since it is in it's somewhat natural form.

If anyone can help explain, it may help me stretch the few ounces I still have. Also, If a recipe calls for 2oz bittering at 60 minutes, might I get a very similar flavor with like 1.5 oz? I don't like bitter beer and am kind of partial to light american style beers. (Labatts, Foster's, Mich Ultra, Molson types)

Other way around. Generally, pellet hops will give you higher utilization; most people use a 10% increase in utilization (= a 10% reduction in amount of hops) when switching from leaf to pellet hops for your bittering addition.

For flavor or aroma, you can just use 1:1.

That's good to know- I almost bought some leaf hops recently before I realized my LHBS had the same variety in pellets. I didn't realize there was a difference.

Higher utilization due to larger surface area with pellets.

But I also hear that lupulin glands are lost during processing so sometimes I wonder if there really is a difference, but I guess that is included in the calculation.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try to buy pellets then, but right now you get what you get and don't argue. I guess I picked a bad time to try and get started in brewing. Buy everything and it's hard to find the ingredients.

Back