When is oxygen a concern?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psujeeperman02

Reaction score
Watched a few YouTube videos on AG brewing and the brewer was very adamant about not splashing the wort during sparging to minimize the oxygen getting into the wort.

Does oxygen even matter at that point since you still have to aerate the wort before transferring to fermenter?

I could not see why. The boil takes the o2 out and that's why you have to aerate prior to pitching. Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never cared about any splashing prior to pitching yeast, except doing it on purpose after chilling wort.

I could not see why. The boil takes the o2 out and that's why you have to aerate prior to pitching. Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never cared about any splashing prior to pitching yeast, except doing it on purpose after chilling wort.

This is absolutely right. There almost no DO in the wort after the boil.

If you have a spare hour or two and want to read lots of arguing try this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=580532

In short, according to the thread 02 ingress matters at ALL stages of brewing and requires a change in technique for homebrewing. If you are happy with your current beers I suggest not reading the thread. I have gone down the low 02 rabbit-hole and it has improved my beers but it is not for everyone.

Here is a link to the original document from www.germanbrewing.net

http://www.germanbrewing.net/2016/04/25/brewing-a-bavarian-helles/

I never really worry about hot side aeration, it is generally assumed to be more of a myth than anything else. Aside from the oxygen needs for fermenation, I get very concerned about oxygen introduction to finished beer. I make sure to purge air out of my entire kegging system (tubing included) prior to transfering to a keg. Oxygen will kill a finished beer, giving an amazing wet cardboard taste.

I'm a judge and have had several beers that are clearly oxidized so it has become one of my pet peeves that I try to avoid at every turn!

If you have a spare hour or two and want to read lots of arguing try this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=580532

In short, according to the thread 02 ingress matters at ALL stages of brewing and requires a change in technique for homebrewing. If you are happy with your current beers I suggest not reading the thread. I have gone down the low 02 rabbit-hole and it has improved my beers but it is not for everyone.

Here is a link to the original document from www.germanbrewing.net

http://www.germanbrewing.net/2016/04/25/brewing-a-bavarian-helles/

I have been doing some reading on O2 in beer at all stages. I think most see HSA more as a myth but things like the above lead me to believe that it isn't a myth. I have read a good deal about O2 being introduced during the mash or sparge.

I agree with the above. If you like the way your beer has been coming out, no need to change. If you feel like reducing O2 in your mash or sparge could improve your beer, it won't hurt to try.

I remember one of my brew club buddies once something about having proved hot-side aeration is NOT a myth for the homebrewer. so I asked him (in our club's shoutbox) if he could elaborate?

another other brew club buddy replied:
[he] had made a batch of beer once and his recirculation wand was above the liquid level (5 Gal batch in a 10 Gal system). This meant that as he recirculated at the end of the boil and during chilling, he was getting hot side aeration. He got card board flavored liquid. tossed it. He can elaborate further. The nut of it is that it does exist, but you have to work REALLY hard to screw up and create it. Minor splashing and aeration alone won't do it.

then the other buddy replies:
It's a qualified myth.You really have to go above and beyond the call of duty to make it happen.

edit: I just noticed he said "AT THE END OF THE BOIL" so, it may not be an issue before

I have been doing some reading on O2 in beer at all stages. I think most see HSA more as a myth but things like the above lead me to believe that it isn't a myth. I have read a good deal about O2 being introduced during the mash or sparge.

I agree with the above. If you like the way your beer has been coming out, no need to change. If you feel like reducing O2 in your mash or sparge could improve your beer, it won't hurt to try.

I've been reading the thread referenced and the related pdf. The position is that you have avoid oxygen in every stage of brewing (except right after pitching yeast).

But it only takes a little oxygen on the hot side and you no longer get the benefit from their techniques. So once you get a little O2 on the hot side, it no longer matters. Since almost everyone passes their point of no return just at dough in, from that point on HSA is a "myth" for all practical purposes. So unless you can prevent 02 from entering your beer on the hot side during the entire process, there's not much benefit from worrying about it on the hot side. But it certainly won't hurt if you try.

Or put another way, almost everyone has oxidization in their beers from HSA and most practices don't make it any worse. Once you have it, you can't get rid of it.

I'm still thinking about their techniques, but it has caused me to work on my procedures on the cold side to avoid oxidization.

Back