Wort chilling question--possibly stupid...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piratwolf

Reaction score
O I was just talking to a local pro brewer about chilling w/ glycol thru a plate chiller & it reminded me of something I've often wondered about: what negative effects would come from knocking out through a plate chiller that returned the wort to the brew kettle and simply cycling that through until the wort reaches pitching temp and then run off to the fermenter?

O I was just talking to a local pro brewer about chilling w/ glycol thru a plate chiller & it reminded me of something I've often wondered about: what negative effects would come from knocking out through a plate chiller that returned the wort to the brew kettle and simply cycling that through until the wort reaches pitching temp and then run off to the fermenter?
I could only see doing it after whirlpool because of trub you would pull into the chiller. The pros will whirlpool first and then run through their exchangers so they don't clog them.
Is that what you are talking about? Whirlpooling first then start the exchange and just dump back in through the recirc arm?

Nothing :D
That is how I do it, full flow on the wort recirced into the kettle. Slow the cooling so that the water out is just under the wort in (to save water) and go until temp is down under 40°C. The straight to the fermenter with water flow full bore usually gets me at around 20°C

Nothing :D
That is how I do it, full flow on the wort recirced into the kettle. Slow the cooling so that the water out is just under the wort in (to save water) and go until temp is down under 40°C. The straight to the fermenter with water flow full bore usually gets me at around 20°C

Do you have to whirlpool first or can you just go to it?

I don't have a plate chiller, I have a CFC. But that's exactly what I do. Recirculate (with a hops stand, if I'm doing one) and then when I get to 65 degrees from the return vessel, send it to the fermenter.

Do you have to whirlpool first or can you just go to it?

Save me retyping it all, I posted this in another thread:
What is the whirlpool arm like? On my e-keggle I have a whirlpool return port and no screen on the outlet. I recirc the wort during the last 5 mins of the boil to try and get most of it to collect in the middle, then a couple minutes pumping boiling wort through the plate HEx to sanitise. Then heat off and cooling started. This collects most of the hops in the centre of the keggle. Have not tried using this method with an IPA yet but got a hop burst PA coming this weekend so will let you know (got my old IC to fall back on if the plate plugs - or I will just back flush and go again)
Basically I'm saying that maybe there is no need for the spider/screen for low hop beers.

Ok I did the hop burst PA on Saturday, used about 3.5oz of hops in a 8 gallons pale ale, started whirlpooling with 5 minutes left in the boil then hooked up the plate HEx for a couple of minutes to "boil" it. I had no issues with hops plugging and once the kettle was drained a nice pile of hops/trub in the bottom of the kettle.

Back