Removing cold kegs from fridge to carbonate others

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
I have 2 kegs in my fridge that I've been drinking from for a while. I have 3 other kegs sitting around waiting to be carbonated. Is it bad practice to remove cold kegs from a fridge and let them come up to room temp? My fridge only holds 2 kegs at a time and I'd really like to carbonate the other 3 that are just sitting around.

I like to bottle off the last several from a keg before putting a new one in the fridge, so that I have some carbonated beer while the new keg carbonates.

But to answer your question, it's fine to remove cold kegs and let them warm up. They'll stay carbonated, as long as the posts aren't leaking (e.g. from the poppets)

I could carbonate with priming sugar, but I've never actually done that with a keg. I never could get the carbonation perfect in bottles, so when I bought kegs I've just always used force carbonating.

I just wanted to make sure letting it warm up to room temp wouldn't do anything bad to it...I know most beer distrubutors store the kegs in their fridge all the time.

Not to high jack this, but if you keg a green beer, chill it, force carb it, remove it from cold, place into 70 degree area, will it continue to improve as it ages as well?

Not to high jack this, but if you keg a green beer, chill it, force carb it, remove it from cold, place into 70 degree area, will it continue to improve as it ages as well?

Yep, that's a hijack Start a new thread and I'm sure you will get a reply.

Back