Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was a coarse adjustment screw for this Evalet freezer, where would I be? :)
Any pointers? Rip off the red cover on the back? Rip off the white front that the fine adjustment screw attaches to?

WP_20150615_001.jpg

WP_20150615_002.jpg

How do you go about removing the cover from the front of the freezer? Jammed a couple of screw drivers in the edge but I'm afraid it's gonna bust before it comes loose. Is there a trick to it?

How do you go about removing the cover from the front of the freezer? Jammed a couple of screw drivers in the edge but I'm afraid it's gonna bust before it comes loose. Is there a trick to it?

A picture might help. Can you get to it from a side panel or something? It's probably held in by a couple plastic or metal pieces that need to be squeezed to pop it loose. You should be able to get the nob off the thermostat easier, that might help see what's behind it.

I have an Amana 5.3 cu ft that I'm trying to run off the built in thermostat.
I have it turned down to the lowest setting (1) and have turned the "coarse" screw in (clockwise) about 20 turns , and it appears to be cycling between 35-40 degrees F. Nothing below 32 so far.

Thanks for this thread OP.

I bought the FRF-470-Black from Wal-mart. It supposedly had a refrigerator setting. The first one showed up with a big dent in the side so I had to re-order. The second came in great shape. It does not have the refrigerator setting though. I take the side panel off, popped the tabs for the thermostat panel. The coarse adjust screw was on the left side. I screwed it all the way in, set the freezer to the warmest (so I screwed up at first and set it to the coldest setting) and let it set over night. My temperature is around 34 degrees.

Post number 54 is mine and I did this mod on the same keezer
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/gu...liminate-external-control-249612/#post3015206

you need to remove it from the plastic housing. the coarse set screw is on the side with the green wire.

-=Jason=-

I also have a Magic Chef Model # HMCF7W2. I am unsure which is the coarse set screw. See pictures... I have adjusted (all the way clockwise) the screw from the 3rd pic (white cable) without much changes..

Please advise.

Thanks

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

Did you "remove it from the plastic housing", as mentioned above?

Looks as if it's still on / in the "plastic housing" from the pic.

You'll probably find said screw on the "face" of the thermostat body, once you take it from the "plastic housing".

I got faith in ya'! ;)

I also have a Magic Chef Model # HMCF7W2. I am unsure which is the coarse set screw. See pictures... I have adjusted (all the way clockwise) the screw from the 3rd pic (white cable) without much changes..

Please advise.

Thanks

I think my thermostat is busted... I turned the screw all the way to the right but the compressor stays on... last temp reading -31c... :eek:

Please advise.

Thanks

It's probably behind the knob. From the pics provided, I don't see a set screw.

I think my thermostat is busted... I turned the screw all the way to the right but the compressor stays on... last temp reading -31c... :eek:

If you turn it the opposite direction, does the compressor shut off? (Take caution in not backing out the set screw entirely, they can be really difficult to put back together) -31C? That's absurd...wonder how many kW you just went through on your electricity bill lol

If you turn it the opposite direction, does the compressor shut off? (Take caution in not backing out the set screw entirely, they can be really difficult to put back together) -31C? That's absurd...wonder how many kW you just went through on your electricity bill lol

no, it does not turn off..:confused:

With my freezer, when adjusted as high as it could go the temperature ranged between 30 and 34 degrees. While my beer wasn't freezing, I didn't like the serving temperature. So I opted for the Inkbird ITC-308, instead of the STC-1000:
http://www.ink-bird.com/product/detail/p/ITC-308_Outlet_Thermostat_Temperature_Controller/id/12

They only run about $35 to $40 on Amazon or Ebay, and mine works great. I decided I'd rather pay the few extra dollars and not invest the time on the STC-1000 build.

Kinda' blurry.
Yes, the shaft out the front is definitely !
Look at it face on..............See any tape covering a hole?

If so, look under there.

If not, look in any hole from the same angle..........see any small screws within?

If so, give that a try, with the freezer / fridge thermostat maxed out, and the unit running.

Slow adjustments!
Try 1 to 1 1/2 turns @ the time, and listen for the unit to stop.

You have a 50/50 chance of turning it the right direction the first try, if one don't work, that means 2 to 3 turns in the other direction, and listen for results.

This weekend I picked up a Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft chest freezer FFFC07M1QW and found the thermostat (Model WPF34B) I figured that the coarse adjustment screw was the one attached to the spring I could see inside the thermostat so I turned it about 6.5 turns as other posts have said. It raised the temp but was still freezing so I adjusted it a couple more times and the screw bottomed out. I adjusted the dial on the front to the minimum setting and it has been steady at 32F all day. The half gallon of water i have inside finally got a thin layer of ice after over 12 hours so far. But it seems that I will need a temp controller now. Unless anyone has noticed an increase in temp after installing an uninsulated wood collar?

Sorry for the late response stealth cruiser, but I've found 2 screws that I can see on this box. One is on the back screwed into a red plastic covering and the other is visible from the top but is within the box. I'll try to get some clear pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. I can also see what looks to be glue or silicone close to the top screw. I'm thinking this could what I'm looking for.

View attachment 1445354162756.jpg

View attachment 1445354208105.jpg

I picked up a Criterion 10.6 cu/ft freezer over the holidays for my keezer build. I was planning on buying an external control until I saw this thread. I think I found the coarse adjusting screw, and have screwed it in 7 or 8 turns. Still freezes water. The screw is a small phillips head screw in the oval "window". And if I do need to adjust it, I'd need to dismantle my keezer to access it. Sorry, that pic is a bit fuzzy.

I'm having second thoughts now however. The issue is the control is on the front of the freezer. I don't want to blemish the front of my cabinet with a panel or door. This will be part of my bar set up and want it to look nice.
So two questions

1. does the attached picture look like the correct screw?

2. If I decide to go with a Ranco or Johnson external control, should I just leave the screw where it is or unscrew it about the same number of turns?

20160102_104052.jpg

20160102_104058.jpg

1. does the attached picture look like the correct screw?

2. If I decide to go with a Ranco or Johnson external control, should I just leave the screw where it is or unscrew it about the same number of turns?

I'm not sure about your model, but you might want to pull off the white plastic thermostat cover/dial... It might be behind that. And I'd test with a thermometer every turn off two to see if you're turning is doing anything. Check it four our five times over the course of an hour or so to get an idea of the range. If it's the correct screw, the temperature range should change.

If also recommend you take a look at the Inkbird ITC-308 if you're looking at temperature controllers. It's a quick cheap option. You can find it in amazon. And to answer number 2, if the freezer is working and you opt to use a controller, leave the screw wherever it is.... It doesn't matter.

McT

I agree with McTwidget

The set screw is likely behind the white plastic housing, near the actual dial port. I would suggest playing with the screw in 1/4 turn increments while the compressor is on. If you're turning one way and the compressor stays on, you're making it colder. If you turn it the other way and the compressor turns off, you're making it warmer.

It's crazy how many temperature controllers are on the market these days. I remember when the Johnson controller was the best on the market, but was pricey. For $40 - that's a pretty easy, cheap solution that won't void your warranty (if there is one).

I found this one for $27! http://amzn.to/1mvsi5n

I tried googling your thermostat controller (WPF30) but only found results for WPF20.

In my search, I found that the coarse screw you found is indeed the adjustment screw! :ban: See post #4 in this very thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=2982371&postcount=4

So my advice again - wait for the compressor to kick on, then back the adjustment screw out in 1/4 increments until the compressor turns off.

Be cautious not to back it out all the way...that would not be good and could be challenging to put back in place.

If you go the 3rd party controller route, I would put the adjustment screw back to its factory position (if you remembered to count how many turns you made)

Hey everyone, Just picked up a second hand chest freezer that I'm going to convert. I wanted to let everyone know that has a Menards around them that they do used appliances with a 14 day return policy and always have fridge's/freezers available. Sometimes new sometimes old, but I picked mine up for $19 saved me 80+ from even going to craigslist.

This is AWESOME info. Now I can adjust my keeper temp, beer fridge (that was a small standup freezer), and use my external control to get a fermenting fridge! You're the man!

Will

Great site! Here's a twist,

I don't do homebrew, but my wife (Korean) does make kimchi (actually fermented cabbage so in a way it is homebrew). I have a Majic Chef 6.9 that we bought to keep kimchi in, needs to be about 33°. The course adjustment fix has it at 34° instead of freezing solid!

Like they say, happy wife = happy life.

Thanks for the fix!

Jackster

Ok so I tried to adjust it and so far I am not having any luck. I did 6.5 turns and it still shows -8C (17.6F). I am afraid to do anymore turns. What do you think I should do? My model is (WPF-35).

Thank you!!

EDIT: I think I know what I did wrong. You need to turn it clockwise and not counterclockwise. Will run now some more test :)

Last edited:
Got my GE FCM5DRBWH for free on Craigslist and just screwed it in until it got stiffer to turn. Holding at 40F in a quart of water so I call it a success. For this model I found the screw on the side of the thermostat just adjacent to the knob post. Easy access to the thermostat by unscrewing the access panel on the right and reaching through to release the plastic clips and then slide the unit straight forward through the opening to gain access to the screw. Awesome!

Got my GE FCM5DRBWH for free on Craigslist and just screwed it in until it got stiffer to turn. Holding at 40F in a quart of water so I call it a success. For this model I found the screw on the side of the thermostat just adjacent to the knob post. Easy access to the thermostat by unscrewing the access panel on the right and reaching through to release the plastic clips and then slide the unit straight forward through the opening to gain access to the screw. Awesome!

Update that’s way overdue: 40F was my ambient room temp in the basement it turned out. I actually suspect the thermostat is toast which is cool because that’s why the freezer was free.

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP. I used this to get my "Cask Ale" fridge to hold a corny right at 50 degrees without needing an external controller. The liquid temperature variation is very small (1-2 degrees either way at most) and it's working a treat!

Look up the part number for the thermostat online. They're not expensive. I was able to find a refrigerator ranged thermostat for my keezer that made it possible to get it into the proper temperature range after the adjusting screw in my original thermostat wasn't able to get into the temperature range I wanted.
Just wanted to say thanks for this idea. I was getting a ~14F temperature swing (32F-46F) in my upright keezer. Obviously the kegs would be swinging less, but I figured I'd look around for a fridge tstat. If it helps anyone, here's what I got:

Upright freezer:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire...ight-Freezer-Silver-Mist-ENERGY-STAR/50273099

Fridge tstat:
https://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-control-297415203-ap6285803.html

Thanks to this I now get about a 3F swing with nothing external cutting power on and off. Thanks!

For what it's worth, my Kegerator is over 5 years old and still running strong. Haven't been brewing much lately so it's getting pretty empty, hoping to get back into the swing of things now.

I hit a max temp on my freezer (Same controls as macman18 above) just a few degrees shy of serving temp. I even scraped off the glue from the screw to get a bit more movement.

Is there any other way to adjust the thermostat? It is frustrating to be so close to the temp I need. Just a turn or so needed.

For what it's worth, my Kegerator is over 5 years old and still running strong. Haven't been brewing much lately so it's getting pretty empty, hoping to get back into the swing of things now.

I'd like to point out that I jinxed the hell out of myself with this post and in December old faithful gave up.

Upside of it is I decided to go with a Kegland kegerator that I got without tower/taps and moved my hardware in.

Back