Mash filtering, why exactly ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walther

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it necessary to use your mash as a filter for clearing the beer ?

There is usually lots sediment after first fermentation, will a little extra make a difference ?

Has it something to with taste, and you do not want it in the beer for too long or something ?

Cheers,
Walther

I have read that to much grain matter in the boil can release harsh tannins. I have many times forgotten to vorlauf and ended up with much more sediment with no effect on the taste. The only effect I think more sediment could have is trapping some of the yeast under it, which could effect fermentation, but it is doubtful.

This is one of those 5% factors. Everything else we do in brewing is so much more important than having clear runoff, but theory tells us that it will make slightly better beer... baaaaarely better.

The only reason to use the grain bed to filter the mash is to keep the chunks of husks and grain out. If you use a grain bag or other filtering methods, you don't have to worry about the runnings through the grain bed.

Back