Need help with Fall brew plan......what to brew??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty2324

Reaction score
This fall I'm going to go from extract/partial-mash up to all grain.

My original plan was to go ahead and use some American ale yeast that I've got washed up in my fridge to make 2-3 batches of Sierra Nevada/Sweetwater 420 style pale ales to dial in a recipe for my standard everyday brew. I was also going to buy a lb. of Cascade pellets to cut my costs for hops.

Up to now I haven't really done a brew plan and end up buying new yeast everytime I brew and want to use the washed yeast, but last night the wifey asked me to brew an Oktoberfest (would use an ale yeast if I did this and just keep the ferment temp in the low 60's)........ which doesn't fit at all with my plan.

Any suggestions, recipes, that would allow me to use my washed yeast??? I think I could go a little hoppier than an Oktoberfest also, maybe an American Red Ale or Irish red using american yeast.

Come close as Uncle Pappers tells you the secret of happiness and tranquility . . . when swmbo says she wants an Oktoberfest, brew it. Or anything else she wants. Here endeth the lesson.

I've done an Oktoberfest with Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale and it came out pretty damn good. Everyone whose tried was a little skeptical but I told them to reserve judgment until they tasted it and they all loved it. Then you could reuse the 1084 to make an Irish Red Ale.

If you want to reuse the American Ale yeast you can brew up a porter, either Robust or Americanized, to make a great Fall brew.

Back