First dry hop experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopheader

Reaction score
Hi folks.

Thought I would dry hop a BrewHouse Pilsner. Though now that I've tasted it at several stages, tastes pretty good minus the carbonation. Were I to dry hop, what does one do----I've got leaf hops (Cascade---my current fave). I've heard just chuck 'em in the carboy (after a racking) and filter it out later--something about the beer having no oxygen so shouldn't have a problem with contamination from throwing organic matter in--

Any tips would be welcome.

Thanks!

mmmmmm.....hopssssssssss.

Some people like to use a hop sack to keep them contained.I've only used pellets and you just "chuck them in" for 7 to 10days before bottling or kegging.Some people dry hop in the keg by hanging their hop sack w/ dental floss from the keg lid.Maybe one of those people will chime in after I bump this up.
As far as contamination is concerned--don't worry,hops are naturally anti-microbial by nature.I recently read an article about this in BYO where they performed analysis on dry hopped beers.Results were that even though some of the hops had bacteria on them none infected the beer in any way.

Back