What a night!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfluent

Reaction score
I just got back from one of the most educating evenings I've ever attended!

So, I've gotten to know this guy on another forum (not beverage related) and after fluffing a while we discovered we -apart from hifi- both where pretty interested in beer and alcoholic beverages in general.

Thing is, I only knew him by his forum handle and he suggested I and some of the other guys on the forum also posting in the thread should come over to his place and try some different beers. Since he practically live next door I decided I should tag along. Good desition.

We had decided we should home in on the high end Belgian beers for the evening and that I should bring a keg of homebrew and some hops and malt (to show the less knowledgable and explain the process of making beer).

Now, I knew I had heard his name somewhere before but I couldn't really place it. It turns out that the guy behind the handle was actually one of the most reputable spirit and wine experts in europe.:D. He has done TV shows, written several books on wine and vodka.

He started out by giving us a crash course explaining how he looks at aroma and taste, how you should do to pick out the different details in the aroma etc. Very, very interesting stuff, especially since this guy has pioneered new ways of looking at and describing aroma.

The winner this evening was karamelit triple...

What he thought about my homebrew? He actually said he was surprised how good it was and actually sponaneously went for a refill :rockin:.

I then asked him to really pick it apart into all aromas and tastes and got some really good feedback on what could be improved...

Next time we'll try vodka -his speciality. That will be pretty cool because this guy is one of few (the only one?) that has systematically tried hundreds of different vodkas in a number of different drinks to figure out which vodka is most suitable for one particular drink! Now, that's obsessive!

H:drunk:

H

Wow, all that and he lived so close to you. That's the magic of the interweb.

Sounds like a great night!

VatorMan-

That's rad!...I was thinking the same thing. The whole "fluffing" thing kind of threw me for a loop:0

Anyway, that sounds like a cool evening. It's always great to meet some cool new people espepcially when they are so knowledgable about things such as beer and spirits.

Us Amurricans call that 'small talk' instead of 'fluffing'. :p But seriously, that's awesome! What are the odds, eh? And that's great that he liked your karamelit triple and gave you great feedback on it.

Us Amurricans call that 'small talk' instead of 'fluffing'. :p But seriously, that's awesome! What are the odds, eh? And that's great that he liked your karamelit triple and gave you great feedback on it.

Hehe, there are lots of words that have different meanings between Swedish and English... For example, the swedish word for "dot" is "prick" and that can lead to pretty interesting mixups.

About the "Tripel Karmeliet" it wasn't my homebrew, its brewed by Brouwerij Bosteels in Belgium. Still, it was awsome -and scary- to have my homebrew (an American IPA, somewhat resembling Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale) picked apart by a pro.

H

Back