Just let me gloat for a minute :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unusmundus

Reaction score
Alright HBT, this was officially my SIXTH brew yet-- 5 beers, 1 cider, 3 dumpers, 3 drinkable keepers, and this is officially my FIRST brew that I'm legitimately proud of, and feel the need to brag ! This was a partial extract/ specialty grain brew of a west coast style IPA, with over half a pound of hops boiled in (not quite sure of what varieties), that I dry hopped (first time dry hopping) with another 145 grams of Cascades. It came out at a whopping 6.9-7% ABV (when the FG was only supposed to be 6.4%-- Perhaps this is because I sparged my specialty grains when the recipe said not to?), and has a high IBU, and HUGE hop bite. It's been in the bottles only NINE days (I couldn't resist) and CHECK OUT THAT LACING ! (first time I've had lacing at all)

Furthermore I'd like to thank EVERYONE in the HBT community for both your inspiration and friendly advice/ answers to my stupid noobie questions during my entry stage to home brewing. Have a great night all !

Cheers ! :) :mug:

image.jpg

No prob. Side note, I was working on a cruise ship for a while and stopped in Halifax several times. I miss Propeller brewery. And the other one too, which I don't recall the name of...(too many brews?) but mostly Propeller.

No prob. Side note, I was working on a cruise ship for a while and stopped in Halifax several times. I miss Propeller brewery. And the other one too, which I don't recall the name of...(too many brews?) but mostly Propeller.

No way? If Propeller was your favourite, you're missing out on Hali's craft beer culture. You're probably thinking of Garrison. I like a lot of Garrison's brews, but aren't particularly fond of Propeller to be honest. The pint glass in my pic is from Granite Brewery. It is infact the pioneer of craft beer in Halifax. Infact, when they opened up in 1985-- They were the first brewpub East of the Rockies. Propeller often claims to be 'Halifax's first microbrewery' which they can only claim because TECHNICALLY Granite was a 'brewPUB' at the time, but the fact of the matter is, Granite has been here since the dawn of craft beer in this city, and continue to make great beer, though they are unfortunately much less know than Propeller or Garrison.

Yeah, I had never heard of Granite at all. I liked Propeller a lot because nothing like completely amazed me, but I just thought everything I had from them was well balanced and drinkable. And yes, Garrison was the other one. They had some good stuff too. Wish I would have known about Granite, you guys must have a great beer culture up there!

Anyhow, sorry to change subjects. Enjoy your great beer :mug:

Yeah, I had never heard of Granite at all. I liked Propeller a lot because nothing like completely amazed me, but I just thought everything I had from them was well balanced and drinkable. And yes, Garrison was the other one. They had some good stuff too. Wish I would have known about Granite, you guys must have a great beer culture up there!

Anyhow, sorry to change subjects. Enjoy your great beer :mug:

It's growing actually, there's a recent emergence of brew pubs that sell growlers, however, unfortunately, I can think of 1 or 2 that are COMPLETE TRASH.:off:

Wow, that brew sure looks tasty !

Man, Granite is an awesome brewery. I only went to the one in Toronto, but apparently the owners are brothers (from what I recall) and the beers are the same. Man, do I miss the Peculiar!

Cheers !

Black

Wow, that brew sure looks tasty !

Man, Granite is an awesome brewery. I only went to the one in Toronto, but apparently the owners are brothers (from what I recall) and the beers are the same. Man, do I miss the Peculiar!

Cheers !

Black

Awesome man ! Contrary to what most Torontonians will tell you, Granite actually started here in Hali as 'Ginger's Tavern' brewpub in '85, and was actually the first brewpub East of the Rocky's at the time. The brewery here is still run by Kevin O'keefe (the father) and his sons that frequent back and forth from Toronto quite regularly. Next time you're in Toronto, try their 'Old Cardinal Abbey Ale', a very easy drinking, and tasting Dubbel.

Is this the best coast ipa from noble grape?... If so I'm bottling this same brew tomorow and I'm glad to hear it turned out great!... I didn't dry hop mine but when I was transferring this to the secondary I was wishing I had some hops on hand. I'm a big fan of Garrisons Imperial ipa and was hoping this would be similar but did notice it lacked a big hop aroma. I'll have to see how mine turns and maybe try again with some dry hops.

Is this the best coast ipa from noble grape?... If so I'm bottling this same brew tomorow and I'm glad to hear it turned out great!... I didn't dry hop mine but when I was transferring this to the secondary I was wishing I had some hops on hand. I'm a big fan of Garrisons Imperial ipa and was hoping this would be similar but did notice it lacked a big hop aroma. I'll have to see how mine turns and maybe try again with some dry hops.

Sure is ! Garrison's Imperial IPA is actually what I've been comparing this too ! Though that very well may be due to the Cascades. :( Hope all turns out well !

Latest posts

Back