Brewing in 9 degree weather leads to this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
happening:

wort chiller.JPG

Blew the hose right off the chiller, apparently the hose froze at the other end (discharge end)

I knew there was a reason I live in Northern California and each time I hear how cold the east and midwest get I love CA even more.

I'm a photographer by trade lol I'm always doing this lol. The only time I didn't is when I dumped 10 gallons of 190 degree water on my left foot

And yes there is permanent nerve damage..... Oh well never brew only wearing socks

Brewed in that temp last night! Sucks but what can you do. We've been having a nasty cold spell out here in Utah lately.

I had to toss clamps on the hoses that attached to my chiller last week. It got so cold that it just contracted and popped off with a little pressure.

Adversity makes better beer, or at least that's what I keep telling myself.....

I knew there was a reason I live in Northern California and each time I hear how cold the east and midwest get I love CA even more.

Cold brewing certainly has its advantages...

Chilling is SO much easier, especially with snow/ice and an immersion pump. Boiling to 48F in under 10 mins? Yes please.

Ferm temp control...many of us ferment in our garages. Colder garage = easy lagering.

I welcome the change in seasons as an excuse to brew different styles, i.e., lagers.

A friend of mine has a series of images where during a dressage competition, the horse and rider go head over heels and slam into the photographer -her lol
nobody got hurt but she **** all the way until the horse slammed into her

Oh and the nooks it didn't happen well I got no pics of the water on the foot dude but trust me it happened i was was running upstairs to get the foot into the tub and not too concerned about gettin a pic

Im all about the cold temps...but thats a bit extreme...

My garage is perfect temperature for fermenting lagers without any chambers now, like a consistent 46-50 degree's...

Im all about the cold temps...but thats a bit extreme...

9 degrees isn't really extreme :)

2 weeks ago i brewed at -25C (-13F). (Mash indoors though)

Don some warm clothes, spare propane tank in case it freezes up, and throw snowballs at the kids outside during the boil. It's not too bad :)

I'm going to brew in 30-35 degree weather in a few days if I don't get lazy. Only thing thats going to be interesting is that the hose I use for my chiller is frozen as I forgot to drain it last brew day

I once brewed 10 gals of lager in my garage, so cold that fermentation took 3 weeks. I went to bottle it using jug and funnel and the jug broke a thin sheet of ice on the top. I bottled it - and it was fine.

Winter in Midwest=lager time.

Plus when its time to cool Ur wort just stick it in a snow drift.

I'm going to brew in 30-35 degree weather in a few days if I don't get lazy. Only thing thats going to be interesting is that the hose I use for my chiller is frozen as I forgot to drain it last brew day

heh, did the same thing this winter. just bring it inside the day before so it has a chance to thaw out. might need to use a hair dryer or bucket of warm water on the spigot if that froze, too.

I've done a few brew days in our detached garage at about 30F and I was bitching about the cold. you guys are hardcore! :mug:

Plus when its time to cool Ur wort just stick it in a snow drift.

The snow actually insulates really well...a faster option is to put snow & water in a bucket and keep it moving around your kettle

Back