White house beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is so cool. George Washingtons distillery is a national land mark and this makes me so proud that the White House did this.

Spargin'. Color looks pretty damn close to the video!

IMG_5705.jpg

I agree with the spirit behind this idea. I'm guessing that the White House kitchen may have already expanded past the amount of equipment shown in the video -- they must be used to anticipating all kinds of sudden unexpected demands, and don't want to be caught short if the President decides to invite 100 veterans over for beer next weekend and wants to offer the house bottle, for example. They may well be churning out a lot more than 5 gallons a month as we speak.

I think it would be great if future presidents also had their own style -- over the years, I think it would be a great way to track changing tastes and preferences, and I hope they keep the tradition growing.

I seem to remember that Reagan was a big booster of California wines and helped a bit in making them more respected internationally by serving them a lot when he was President. Maybe Obama could do just a little of that for US beer as well.

This would be a cool new tradition, and we could brew them all. :tank:

Spargin'. Color looks pretty damn close to the video!

IMG_5705.jpg

:mug:

Do you think Mitt Romney would continue to brew beer if he was elected? Even if he doesn't drink he could still continue the tradition

Watch it- get back to discussing recipes/techniques/flavors, and not politics or politicians. Or you know what will happen, and none of us want to see that!

Thanks.

Yooper said:
Watch it- get back to discussing recipes/techniques/flavors, and not politics or politicians. Or you know what will happen, and none of us want to see that!

Thanks.

I know, and thought of that, but I didn't feel my comment was inflammatory, controversial, or anything like that. Let me know if you think otherwise.

Done! Dumped her in the ol' ale pale, pitched some S05.

Wort tastes great. Ill post pics in a week when its done!

When it strays to "I would/wouldn't vote for...," it's definitely over the line. A discussion of presidential brewing tradition should be fine as long as it stays cordial and politically neutral.

Wonder how long it is before some enterprising LHBS owner starts marketing these as pre-assembled kits?

You know somebody will do it. If I owned a shop. I would

winvarin said:
Wonder how long it is before some enterprising LHBS owner starts marketing these as pre-assembled kits?

And I would sell them in Red or Blue versions

And I would sell them in Red or Blue versions

I've dranks reds. Never heard of blues. :drunk:

And that's cool, but, I dunno, I like the idea of putting it together myself... even if it were the same stuff they just put it in a box already.

Jeff here, new member

My dad was on the phone when this first came out wanting to brew it, "we also did the George Washington recipe", I myself brew AG, but do enjoy brewing extract with friends and my dad. I have already had calls from folks wanting to know when my brew day for this will be, along with what will be on the grill and if the Oktoberfest is ready yet

I really enjoy doing large brew events and with this recipe release, even though it is a simple recipe, has sparked a lot of new comers wanting to come over to brew day at my house and get a feel for it.

I think the only change to this will be leaving out the gypsum, I use local spring water in all my brews. I think in this case the gypsum was used because of the water being extremely soft from filtering and who knows what all safety measures the water goes through at White House. I will also be processing the honey prior to brew day, so it will settle the impurities out. (Will be using fresh local honey, same guy that is providing the honey will also bring mead for brew day)

OP, Thx for posting the video, had not seen that yet. Turns out alot of us are using the same gear as the president, thats gotta be a first for me. And to all you children who keep ruining these threads: let everyone else enjoy something fun, theres lots of political forums online. Use them. Oh and also thanks for the AG conversions guys as alot of us prefer not to use extract. Also Revvy is the man. Also summer is in its twilight, brew and brew alot before its cold. I think we are in for a cold winter this year. That is all, rock on everyone.

OP, Thx for posting the video, had not seen that yet. Turns out alot of us are using the same gear as the president, thats gotta be a first for me. And to all you children who keep ruining these threads: let everyone else enjoy something fun, theres lots of political forums online. Use them. Oh and also thanks for the AG conversions guys as alot of us prefer not to use extract. Also Revvy is the man. Also summer is in its twilight, brew and brew alot before its cold. I think we are in for a cold winter this year. That is all, rock on everyone.

Hey no problem.

Not sure if this has been pointed out, apologies if so...I read through a lot, but not all, of the thread so far....but the Honey Porter recipe seems pretty much identical to the "Colonial Honey Porter" that's on page 154 of my Brewmaster's Bible (first edition) -- ??

Only difference I'm seeing is that the White House recipe calls for 6.6 lbs of LME, versus the Brewmaster's Bible calls for 6 lbs. of DME. But whatever. Recipes are meant to be shared, and modified when needed.

Kudos to the President for raising the profile of homebrewing, that's for sure.

Kudos to the President for raising the profile of homebrewing, that's for sure.

I've seen, and heard about this from virtually every news and information source I use. TV, radio, news feeds to my email, the Daily Beast, etc.
I'm wondering if the LHBS's are getting more business, requests for catalogs, web store hits?? Austin Home Brew, chime in. :)

The Windsor dry ale yeast is not available to me local. Nottingham is a Danstar product I can get . I can get Safale S-04 from Fermentis too. I'm thinking Nottingham is the closest. Yes?

the Honey Porter recipe seems pretty much identical to the "Colonial Honey Porter" that's on page 154 of my Brewmaster's Bible (first edition) --

I would not be surprised. The press release seems to indicate they got the recipes "from their local homebrew store" and then started brewing them. I'd expect a smaller LHBS to rely on the more tried-and-true book recipes, but I'd be quite surprised if they were familiar with the latest Biermuncher recipe and handing it out to their customers. ;)

The Windsor dry ale yeast is not available to me local. Nottingham is a Danstar product I can get . I can get Safale S-04 from Fermentis too. I'm thinking Nottingham is the closest. Yes?

Nottingham and Windsor are almost on opposite ends of the spectrum. S-04 is closer to Windsor, which is low-attenuating.

Am I missing something? The recipe says 1.5 oz of Fuggles pellets in the recipe, yet it says to only add 0.5 oz Fuggles with one minute to go in boil. Where do the other 1.0 oz of Fuggles go?

I assume they meant to say add the 1.5 oz Fuggles at one minute to go in the boil, not 0.5 oz.

Am I missing something? The recipe says 1.5 oz of Fuggles pellets in the recipe, yet it says to only add 0.5 oz Fuggles with one minute to go in boil. Where do the other 1.0 oz of Fuggles go?

I assume they meant to say add the 1.5 oz Fuggles at one minute to go in the boil, not 0.5 oz.

I am thinking you add that 1oz of fuggles with the EKG 45 minutes from flameout.

At least that results in a recipe that is within BJCP For an ESB - just barely - assuming a full rather than partial boil.

Or maybe the President prefers a really, really malty beer.

Definitely going to be brewing the Honey Porter soon so it is ready by election day. Here's my plan/notes for this recipe:

• I'm really excited to be using the honey from my brother's apiary in Sellersville, PA.
  • Hoping my LHBS has the Briess Porter LME, which seems more fitting than the recipe's generic "light unhopped malt extract."
  • Planing on using 1.5oz of Perle hops for bittering unless anyone has any other suggestions as the recipe is unclear on the type of bittering hops to use, just to use 10 "HBU"s? Not sure I've ever used HBU as a calculation unit but my recipe (http://hopville.com/recipe/1645919) says it has 29.1 IBUs (and also 6 HBUs but I have no clue how accurate that is). I think that is a pretty good spot for what should be a sweet-ish porter.
  • Also think I will add the Hallertau aroma hops at 5min instead of flameout as suggested.
  • Finally, I am definitely adding the honey at the very end, maybe 5 min, maybe even something like 2 minutes, mainly because this is my first time brewing with my bro's honey (which he has worked incredibly hard to produce) and I want the characteristics of the honey to really come through. Worried that if I add it too soon its flavor will get lost.

I would love to hear from anyone else brewing (or already brewed) the Honey Porter as the recipe is somewhat vague. I also welcome comments/suggestions on my interpretation! :)

I'd be careful with using Porter LME and the steeping grains as listed. The LME will already have some of those grains and you may end up over doing it.

For what it's worth, I never use anything but the lightest extract I can find and build up the color and flavor with grains.

Back