Devil May Cry (10.10.10 Edition) - Official Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So basically I just let it sit and hope it ferments out. If it doesn't though I'm worried it will be too sweet.

A fellow Berkley brewer! Good luck with yours. Can't make anymore suggestions than what is above.

I coincidently made a similar recipe at about the same time you all did so it's nice to know some of yours still aren't ready even after 8 months.

Just finished bottling this beast. Finished at 1.003 (how is that even possible?, but I checked twice...). 10.4% ABV. It is hot on the finish - but it has a strong flavor profile. The last time I made a belgian strong, it tasted like cardboard dipped in turpentine; but this is solid. I've had 2 bad bottle conditioning experiences where the beer never carbed, so I had prepared a batch of WLP099 in a starter and threw it in at high krausen to make sure I got carbonation this time.

If I have produced a quality beer anywhere close to it's mother beer - the belgian pale ale recipe as the starter, I will be very pleased. That recipe is perfect, and the beer turned out to be one of the best I've made. The oats seem to connect it all together, IMHO.

I tried something new, dropped a shot of the still BGSA into a pint of the belgian pale, and it is fantastic. The yeast is very aromatic (I used WLP570 - the Duvel strain), and the alcohol added a nice body and backbone to the beer - kind of like an "imperial" belgian golden ale. Has my head thinking...and swimming a bit...

Mine's at 13%, it ended at 1.000! And it tastes like crap right now. Still very harsh in the alcohol heat and totally undercarbonated. Not pleased. I want to give it another year before I try one again.

I entered some of my version in Upland Brewery's 'UpCup' competition (Bloomington, IN). It was my first competition and I scored a 31, so all in all pretty good.

Some of the comments were that it was a 'good, solid beer' but 'a little too much alcohol'. :drunk:

I didn't have the opportunity to explain to them that it was intentional. :mug:

I'm looking forward to the swap this fall.

Just re-racked my batch to a keg to free up one of my glass carboys. Did a quick check of a sample, and the alcohol harshness is definitely bedding down. It's still hot, but now it's palatable... particularly if it was chilled and carb'd. Looking forward to this beer come winter!

Mine's at 13%, it ended at 1.000! And it tastes like crap right now. Still very harsh in the alcohol heat and totally undercarbonated. Not pleased. I want to give it another year before I try one again.
This is pretty much where I'm at with mine. But mine is little less alcohol finishing @ 1.004. I kegged it and let it condition and left it on gas for at least a month. Just bottled it to get it outta my keezer (been taking up a spot for months now). It's just...strong.

I just transferred this to a keg for the next four months and I am trying to figure out the final ABV. The OG before adding any sugar was 1.090 and the FG was 1.010. After a few days of fermentation I added 1lb of sugar every couple of days for a total of 3lbs. How do I figure out how much alcohol those extra 3lbs of sugar added?

I just transferred this to a keg for the next four months and I am trying to figure out the final ABV. The OG before adding any sugar was 1.090 and the FG was 1.010. After a few days of fermentation I added 1lb of sugar every couple of days for a total of 3lbs. How do I figure out how much alcohol those extra 3lbs of sugar added?

Batch size (in the fermentor)?

If you are using any software just plug in the amount of sugar as if you had added it to the boil. Should work out the same.

Assuming a 5 gallon batch and beercalculus.hopville.com says cane sugar adds 45 points per pound per gallon

45 x 3 / 5 = 27 points so OG should be 1.090 + .027 = 1.117

Assuming I sort of know what I'm talking about which is always questionable.

Edit: Should make the ABV = 14.28% according to the promash PilotBrew utility on my palm pilot.

Batch size was 5.5gal and I added the sugar after a few days in the primary.

Those numbers look good to me. Thanks for the website. I will use that in the future. Gonna be an A$$ kicker at 14%.

Thanks again,

My batch is not carbonating and I'm guess that's due to the fact that it went from 1.100 to 1.000 and the yeast has nothing left to eat for carbonation. I bottled everything in to flip tops and am wondering if I should add some low gravity wort to assist with this problem. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on how much, what gravity, etc?

My batch is not carbonating and I'm guess that's due to the fact that it went from 1.100 to 1.000 and the yeast has nothing left to eat for carbonation.

Didn't you add priming sugar?

How long ago did you bottle?

I'm also having little to no carbing but I suspect that the yeast is stressed by the amount of Alc (14.4% in mine). Your looks 13.26%. I'm going to try to inoculate with active yeast from a starter at or just after high krausen based on leghorn's post #1398 in https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/im-thinking-09-09-09-barleywine-63737/ (Should be on or near the last page depending on how many posts per page you display)

(Why does everyone keep asking me that?)
Yes, I added priming sugar. Enough for 3 vols back in December. Like you I believe the yeast is stressed out, man. Adding active krausen is a good idea. Great link. I was especially wondering how much to add. Thanks!

(Why does everyone keep asking me that?)
Yes, I added priming sugar. Enough for 3 vols back in December. Like you I believe the yeast is stressed out, man. Adding active krausen is a good idea. Great link. I was especially wondering how much to add. Thanks!

Probably because you said this!:D

My batch is not carbonating and I'm guess that's due to the fact that it went from 1.100 to 1.000 and the yeast has nothing left to eat for carbonation. I bottled everything in to flip tops and am wondering if I should add some low gravity wort to assist with this problem. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on how much, what gravity, etc?

:cross:

try to inoculate with active yeast from a starter at or just after high krausen based on leghorn's post #1398

This has worked out great. Since I posted it in the other thread, I'll repeat it here. I took WLP099 and created a starter of 1 cup XLDME/4 cups water. Included yeast nutrient. I waited until just after high krausen, and then shook the starter vigorously, then added to each bottle. I used a liquid medicine syringe you can get free from any pharmacy. Used 1.25mL/bottle. The 1.25 mL was not scientific, just felt right, but it has carbonated formerly still beers and is a good insurance policy for any high gravity brew. It will be my standing practice for anything above 9% going forward.

There is not discernable flavor impact, just makes sure there is carbonation. Good luck with yours!

I tried this recipe shortly after I started lurking on this forum. I tapped the keg last weekend and HOLY SHNIKES its awesome!!!!!!!! Great body, a little residual sweetness, mouthfeel like your rubbing your tongue on velvet, even with carbonation to 2.5-3.0 vols.

I tapped the keg and was screwing around with serving pressures etc. before I realized I had drank 3 pints of the stuff. Apparently the %abv calculation was fairly accurate as well.:drunk:

I appreciate the wealth of knowledge I have gained on this forum as well as the knowledge that I'm not the only one who shares this obsession.

I will be upgrading my membership as soon as some additional funds become available.

Got the Portugese floor corker today, so hoepfully I'll be bottling tomorrow. I also went ahead and got 2 packs of S-04. Do you think it would be better to use one pack per 5 gallons (more or less)? Or should I make a starter of sorts and "pitch" at high krausen. I'd like it to be carbonated by October.

Well finally got this beast bottled last weekend. Ended up going with a pack of S0-4 per batch and enough table sugar to get around 3.4 volumes. 10 gallons corked and caged. Seems like it has mellowed a lot, but man it is ever strong! Not really hot, there is just a lot of freaking alcohol in this beer. I'm betting carbonation and being chilled (along with a few more months) will vastly improve the "booziness".

Each year we do an "anniversary series swap". It always falls on dates like 10-10-10, 9-9-09 etc. We decide on a big recipe more than a year before, then brew it as close to a year before the date as we can. Obviously this year we brewed close to 10-10-09. When it gets closer to 10-10-10, we will organize a swap with everyone who actually brewed the beer. Its a sticky so its easy to find and doesn't get buried in one of the forums.

why is this a sticky? I don't get it?

Each year we do an "anniversary series swap". It always falls on dates like 10-10-10, 9-9-09 etc. We decide on a big recipe more than a year before, then brew it as close to a year before the date as we can. Obviously this year we brewed close to 10-10-09. When it gets closer to 10-10-10, we will organize a swap with everyone who actually brewed the beer. Its a sticky so its easy to find and doesn't get buried in one of the forums.

Some more examples for Nerdie:

The HBT Collective Collection
and while we are talking about it - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/too-early-start-talking-about-11-11-11-a-180867/

Brewed this today!!
I brewed Parti-Gyle where I had one mash and the first 6gal of wort made the Belgian Strong Golden Ale and the next 10gal made the Kölsch
Thats a large sparge :)

I tweaked the grain bill just a bit
added more wheat for the Kölsch
so it was
31 lbs of pils malt
5.5 lbs of wheat malt
1 lbs Munich malt
It went real well, the BGS gravity hit at 1.085, will add the 3lbs of corn sugar in a few days.
the 10 gal of kolsch was 1.049 so both were a hair low but not really all that much considering this is my first attempt at the whole Parti-Gyle tech.
over all I really liked it. I think it adds a new lvl of fun to brew day and recipe formulation.
http://www.antiochsudsuckers.com/tom/parti-gyle.htm

I kegged this up today for bulk ageing going to let it sit a few more months then bottle with corks and cages. the beer tasted so good and is wonderfully clear now I had my doubts for a few months there.

The kolsch turned out really good , I had a keg party BBQ with a keg of peroni and dos equis, put the kolsch on tap that day too for me to drink, and people started drinking it and would not touch the other beer untill the 10gal of kolsch was gone, got a ton of complements and rave reviews from people who did not think they liked homebrew, that was nice but then I had no kolsch and a whole keg of dos equis to drink, after a few week I was hateing that $hit.

thanks! Cool I'll probably join November 11, 2010 right? Is that the set date? How did the past "anniversary series" come out? I was wondering why... barely anyone did taste comments and stuff unlike Ed's apfelwine....

Thanks... now I know.... I'm in the mix!! :ban:

Getting close to that time! I decided I should try one of my 101010s out today and I'm very happy with it. I was worried about it carbing since if I remember correctly it is like 13.5% ABV. Well, it's perfectly carbed, clear as a bell, and tastes great! Last time I tried it, the alcohol stuck out enough to create an alcohol harshness that was not altogether pleasant. Now it has come into balance with the rest of the beer, the flanders golden ale yeast esters are really nice, and the flavor is really nice, if still a bit strong. The best thing about this beer is the color. It's a rich glowing gold, completely clear, with tons of little bubbles streaming up through it. I tried to take a picture but it doesn't really do it justice. I'm looking forward to tasting other people's interpretations in a couple months!

DSC_3680NEF.jpg

What is everyones experience with carbing? I bottled about a month ago with extra yeast. Opened a bottle last night to test and it wasn't carbed. Figure it just needs more time

What is everyones experience with carbing? I bottled about a month ago with extra yeast. Opened a bottle last night to test and it wasn't carbed. Figure it just needs more time

As stated above, mine carbed up beautifully. They have been in the bottle for over 6 months now. I tested a bottle after 6-8 weeks or something and it hadn't carbed nearly as much as it is now. I looked back and my beer actually came out to 14.5% ABV. I used the flanders golden ale yeast to ferment but pitched a little actively-fermenting top-cropped us-05 at time of bottling to carbonate.

As stated above, mine carbed up beautifully. They have been in the bottle for over 6 months now. I tested a bottle after 6-8 weeks or something and it hadn't carbed nearly as much as it is now. I looked back and my beer actually came out to 14.5% ABV. I used the flanders golden ale yeast to ferment but pitched a little actively-fermenting top-cropped us-05 at time of bottling to carbonate.

How sweet is this beer? How malty is it? Reason I ask is that I can stand maltiness in beer, but not sweetness.

How sweet is this beer? How malty is it? Reason I ask is that I can stand maltiness in beer, but not sweetness.

Well it dried out to 1.007, so it's pretty dry, but it gives you the impression of being sweet. Not cloying at all, but there is a definite sweetness. And a LOT of maltiness.

Who is going to take the lead in setting up the swap? It's down to less than 2 months 'til 10/10/10 and from past swaps, we know it takes some people a while to get their packages sent out. We should probably start getting it set up pretty soon, so everything can be in place in plenty of time before the big day.

Gave one of my bottles a try last night. It pours so pretty; super clear, nice head, nice malty nose, not hot or solventy...then you take a drink and it's strong and sweet. And mine finished @ 1.004

I stated earlier in the thread that I had zero carbonation after many months. I was given instructions (which should also be above) about adding active wort to the bottles which I plan on doing this weekend. We'll see.

I stated earlier in the thread that I had zero carbonation after many months. I was given instructions (which should also be above) about adding active wort to the bottles which I plan on doing this weekend. We'll see.

Same as me, and I tried adding active wort about 5 weeks ago and still nothing. I may have to resort to transferring to a keg. Something along the lines of a #3 stopper with a short racking cane and a inflation needle hooked up to a co2 source at low pressure to push the beer.

My other crazy idea was hack a pressure canner into a chamber I could pressurize with co2, put as many bottles in as it would hold without caps, purge with co2 and pressurize, with the whole thing in the fridge for a couple weeks at 15 psi. Then gently remove and cap the bottles. I think going to a keg will work out better and be easier.

Edit: Scrolling back it looks like I was the one who pointed you to those instructions. So far it hasn't worked for me.

Gave one of my bottles a try last night. It pours so pretty; super clear, nice head, nice malty nose, not hot or solventy...then you take a drink and it's strong and sweet. And mine finished @ 1.004

Same with mine. I sent one into a competition and they said it was sweet and strong, which I knew. Mine finished at 1.006 or 1.008. But I think I fermented it too warm, too much phenol which would give a perception of bitterness and spice.

And that's always been my problem with beer recipes that depend so much on how the fermentation goes. And this type of beer the fermentation of the yeast is what makes this beer. I just can't get the right temperature to get the right flavors. That and I think I always need to ferment at lower temperatures than what is recommended because I just don't like the flavors a warm ferment gives off from any type of yeast for any type of beer.

Who is going to take the lead in setting up the swap? It's down to less than 2 months 'til 10/10/10 and from past swaps, we know it takes some people a while to get their packages sent out. We should probably start getting it set up pretty soon, so everything can be in place in plenty of time before the big day.

Since nobody is taking the lead on this, I'll do it. We're down to less than a month and a half until the big day and I'd like to give everyone about a month to get the beers sent off and received and allowed to settle. I'll start another thread detailing the swap in the Sampling and Critiquing forum.

Since nobody is taking the lead on this, I'll do it. We're down to less than a month and a half until the big day and I'd like to give everyone about a month to get the beers sent off and received and allowed to settle. I'll start another thread detailing the swap in the Sampling and Critiquing forum.
Props to you KB. Is flyangler18 no longer around? I saw some posts in mid-June of this year but he doesn't post nearly as frequently as he used to.

Just tried brewing a 10 gallon of this last night, what an event!

First the mill tips over, spilling grains all over the concrete floor. Then we fill the keggle mashtun right up to the top for a recirculating mash. All goes well with this until Sparge time and we accidentally sparge out at 190 F. I was nervous about the OG as it looked like it was 1.060 going into pre-boil (might have read from the top of the wort), and we had a boil over losing about 1.5 gallons and creating a huge sticky mess on the floor again. I also miscounted and thought we had 4 oz of EKG, but in reality only had 2, so I subbed in 2oz Cascade for the aroma. Also our cold tap water was at 80F, so I could only get the wort down to 83F before throwing in the towel (1:30 in the morning at this point), pitching the yeast, and tossing it into the fridge.

On top of all that I think I held onto my yeasties for too long because it took a while for the WLP570 to do anything in the starter, which when I bumped it up to the 2L flask took all night (5 days before) to get the stir bar spinning! Not enough torque so it would throw the bar every time the fan actually moved.

Despite all of these disasters, the final OG ended up being 1.080, which after adding 6lbs in the fermenter should get me up to 1.101, and I checked this morning to see it bubbling away at a happy 66F. I'll reply back here in a few months to see if there is any hope for this trainwreck of a brew :).

Back