Central OH brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This would be a first for me. I need to know much more.

Hopefully if more chime with interest and suggestions, we can pull something together.

JW

I'm in for a couple bags. Where would you get the grain from?

I don't know yet. It kind of depends on the level of interest. I have been buying from Great Fermentations in Indy when I visit family there. I bought Rahr 2-row there for like .75/lb. in July.

If there were just few of us, I would drive over and load up the van and we could split the fuel charges.

JW

I have been buying from Great Fermentations in Indy when I visit family there.

Too bad we don't have a good source for brewing suppies in Columbus. I know a lot of people who drive up to grape & granary or down to Listermans just to get supplies.

Think this will happen? It’s getting cool outside and I’m getting the itch to start brewing. I could get some grain locally but the price will depend on the quantity.

I'm definitely IN! I've been wanting a group grain buy but just kept not starting a thread for some reason, Probably cause I had to source for the bulk grain I guess.

So yes count me in. I'd like probably half a bag of pale, half a bag of marris otter and some random specialties. This crushed or non crushed?

I'm still interested, not sure if the OP was planning on coordinating it or not.

With the # of people that we have involved in this thread, however, we're not going to be getting much of a discount from anyone. At bulk prices I'm good for 6 sacks or so, but to make it worth it we need to be ordering 800+ lbs. of grain

I'm interested, but unfortunately, unemployed and hurting for cash. Once details get towards finalized, I'll know more and hopefully be IN.

I've been using Maris Otter as my primary base malt, but I'm sure 2-row will work just fine.

The minimum looks like it’s 1000lbs that's only 20 bags. I'm in for 5 or 6 and ohiobrewtus said he's in for 6 and a few others have mentioned 1 or 2 bags. That puts us pretty close to a minimum order. At $0.70 per pound and about $150 freight it puts us at $42 per bag.

Looking at brewtus links to North Country malt I got these numbers...

80 per pallate
20.80 fuel charge
15 haz-mat
75 lift gate fee
190.8 total

/ 20 bags = 9.54

I would imagine that the Hazmat charge only applies if we buy chemicals. If one of us has access to a dock (I may) or they let us unload by hand we can skip the lift fee...

100.80 w/o lift & hazmat = 5.04 per bag

Unless they upped their prices recently...

2002 Canadian 2-row .49 x 55 = 26.95 (31.99 or 36.49 shipped)

0758 Bairds Maris Otter .71 x 55 = 39.05 (44.09 or 48.59)

At those prices I'll stock up, 5 or 6 bags. If nobody else has access to a Dock I'll talk to the shipping guy at work, but I'm about an hour and a half NE of Columbus.

If stuff is being shipped by truck they will normally let you unload by hand if it doesn't take too long. We have no dock at the office and I normally have to unload 50+ boxes by hand. Even when they send a lift gate they sometimes won't use it for pallets of paper because the area is on a slope.

Anyway, too far for me considering I could only use a bag or two, but if someone from Cleveland/akron wants to go in, I may be up for some.

I'd be down for spending probably 50-75 bucks on grain. So whatever we get the price to will determine what I get. I'd like at least half a bag of Pale and half a bag of Marris then 5-10 pounds of a few specialties.

If there's a lift gate fee anyway, then I could have it delivered to my dad's store here in Marion. He doesn't have a 'dock', per se, but he has a large roll up door for his deliveries.

I might be able to arrange something here at work too. We have 40 or so dock doors.

I need 2 row, MO, Vienna, Munich and Pils.

Any idea on how quick we can we can make this happen? I need to brew again ASAP, I guessing we'll be at least a couple of weeks for this bulk order. If so, a run to the Grape & Grain is in my near future...

C'mon kids, lets get the ball rolling on this.

If Brewtus is in for 6, the king & I get 5 each, thats 16, we only need 4 more.

I *could* be in for as much as 6. It depends what kind of pricing we end up with, and how much I go overbudget on my deck project.

I live just south of Akron, I have a truck, and I am in need of 2-row. what do we need to do to make it happen.??

The problem is someone is going to have to front the money because all these people are not going to send checks to a person they don’t know. If the lead person would want to coordinate a drop off somewhere so we could all come out and pay for our grain and take it home the same day that might work.

The problem is someone is going to have to front the money because all these people are not going to send checks to a person they don’t know. If the lead person would want to coordinate a drop off somewhere so we could all come out and pay for our grain and take it home the same day that might work.

I think you would be surprised at how close knit a community can become. A hobby I am involved in is making pens, wine stoppers, shaving brushes, and cosmetic/make-up brushes. People on a forum I am on routinely get together and buy in bulk. I personally have run several purchases totalling about 8 grand each and just got done with one at $1,600 and one at $3,400. Anyway, in each case the max I fronted was my total order cost and maybe a hundred bucks for someone I knew well but hadn't sent me payment yet.

I would hope that I could also trust most of you guys here, and I have been fortunate enough to have met one member so far who offered me some assistance with a carboy shortage I was having.:)

I have never done a bulk grain buy, but I am very interested. I have some questions that I need to have answered before I commit to this.
1.Where do we buy from?
2.how much do we buy?
3.where will our meeting place be to distribute it? and finally,
4.How can the financial burden be distributed to those who are in on the buy so that one person does not have to front the whole amount.
5. Is there a minimum purchase for each participant?(2 bags, 3 bags....ect)

Please let me know if you have answers to these questions, or did I just create more confusion.

It would be simplest if one person lived close to a bulk supplier and somewhat centralized 9although not entirely necessary). They would just front the money then everyone would pay them upon pickup. I do not have the funds to front or I would. I would have no problem trusting people on this forum. Well at least premium and lifetime supporters.

Did this bulk buy ever materialize? I am interested in some bulk purchasing of 2-row in the Ohio area.

No, nothing ever caem from this. Would you be willing to be the organizer? That I think is where we lacked. Someone willing to take control of it and front the money.

Back